Two Xboxes connected to Xbox Live via One Router?

Started by sabre2, May 23, 2010, 22:40:19

Previous topic - Next topic

sabre2

Hi

I've just bought a second Xbox which I'm trying to connect to Live at the same time as another on my LAN. I have Netgear DG834G v3 with the latest firmware, but that doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any personal experience of this, and a suggestion of an ADSL router with wireless that can handle UPnP to two different devices simultaneously?

Many thanks
John

Niall

Just make sure you've set up the IP address on the Xbox, and tell the router to allow it through and it should work.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

sabre2

Mmmm, yes; should! Sadly it seems some routers implement UPnP more thoroughly than others. I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience of a set-up that was know to work reliably.

In this case the two Xboxes pick up an IP address via DHCP and nothing is blocked out-bound by the firewall.

John

psp83

Hi Sabre,

The problem is, DG834G router doesn't allow double Open NAT.

But try this, I've had 2 xboxes working before on the same router by doing the following.

Set both xboxes to have static IP addresses.

Click on WAN Setup and put one of the xboxes IP in the Default DMZ Server.

Now for the 2nd xbox, open all the required ports for its IP address. You can use this link to help you do the 2nd part http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834G/Xbox_Live_360.htm

sabre2

It seems that the ability of the DG834G to do this depends on which version you've got. Needless to say, mine (V3) is one that's known not to work!

I had wondered about trying something lke you suggest. I'm unclear about which Xbox I'd be forwarding to - the one in the DMZ or the one not? I have to set the ports to forward to one or the other!

Or option B - drop a few quid on a new router that will work (and that's known to be a robust ADSL modem/wireless too).

John

psp83

The port forward is the one not in the DMZ zone,

The IP in the DMZ is fully open so needs no port forwarding.

I had DG834G V3 aswell.

psp83