This made me laugh.

Started by Steve, May 27, 2010, 07:25:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

This is outrageous most of us get it for a minimal charge but £150,000 for a BT broadband connection

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/10164893.stm
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Thats outrageous, saying that some of those welsh mountain are very hard  ;D WiFi operators are the only hope in areas like that Steve. If there are enough homes who need it to make a profit on the outlay, of course.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

talos

I live not far from there and can understand the problem, all phone lines and power lines are overhead because trenching them through the rocky ground is nigh on impossible and the losses through overhead runs are colossal, I live only 3 miles from the exchange and my broadband speed is dismal. Wifi would work but really to make it work well, a line of sight antenna system is needed or many relay points because of the hilly terrain, and non of these options are cheap, many of the communities around here only number about 20 homes, even assuming they all want hi speed BB the shared cost would prohibitive. I am afraid I am with BT on this one, if they had said it was impossible, it would have been a lie, so the chose to tell her the facts however unpalatable.

Gary

Quote from: talos on May 27, 2010, 09:56:18
I live not far from there and can understand the problem, all phone lines and power lines are overhead because trenching them through the rocky ground is nigh on impossible and the losses through overhead runs are colossal, I live only 3 miles from the exchange and my broadband speed is dismal. Wifi would work but really to make it work well, a line of sight antenna system is needed or many relay points because of the hilly terrain, and non of these options are cheap, many of the communities around here only number about 20 homes, even assuming they all want hi speed BB the shared cost would prohibitive. I am afraid I am with BT on this one, if they had said it was impossible, it would have been a lie, so the chose to tell her the facts however unpalatable.
Can you get satellite BB there talos?

Rik

Sadly, those are the rules to which BT work, Steve. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

talos

QuoteCan you get satellite BB there talos?

In most places (unwooded) yes, and we looked into that, but once again the costs were far too high, and of course the uplink has to be via BT phoneline at dialup speeds :no:

Gary

Quote from: talos on May 27, 2010, 11:29:33
In most places (unwooded) yes, and we looked into that, but once again the costs were far too high, and of course the uplink has to be via BT phoneline at dialup speeds :no:
:sigh:

pctech

On the upside, unless you are P2Ping most of the traffic is on the downlink.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on May 27, 2010, 14:04:26
On the upside, unless you are P2Ping most of the traffic is on the downlink.
Not great for video chats though or sending big emails  :(

pctech