Router Upgrade

Started by mrapoc, May 27, 2010, 18:01:51

Previous topic - Next topic

mrapoc

Hello all

my 2700hgv isnt cutting it anymore, im getting bad lag spikes on HoN (game) and timeouts. Plus I could really do with uPnP as it also seems to like blocking server browsers (especially for counter strike source).

So really all I need is wireless N (why not!), game friendly and thats it really...

I got 2 laptops wireless, powerline adapter going up to a cisco switch in my room, connected to a ps3 and any other pcs im fixing.

Rik

Netgear or Speedtouch, Sam.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

I like and have a Netgear DGN2000. Uses the broadcom chipset.

Steve

Are you gaming via wireless laptop?
Steve
------------

mrapoc

All gaming is done via wired (ps3 and pc)

which is why i dont understand why i'm getting lag spikes (somtimes up to 10 seconds and then time out completely) and why servers are still hidden after unblocking ports.

Rik

Lagging spikes could be a hot VP, Sam.
Rik
--------------------

mrapoc

i THINK its just in that game

the 2700 doesnt seem to have the best firewall in the world in terms of playin ball with everything

have they released routers with community supported firewall rules where u can just get the latest games etc. to choose out of in the application list

thatd be cool

mrapoc

ok so iv decided if im gonna get one, may as well make it future proof so i need one to work with my current adsl max connection, as well as any future upgrades (none noted yet, but i think if anything we might get adsl2 (??))

will an adsl2 router work with adsl?

the netgears seem generally a popular choice

Lance

As far as I know, all routers on the market today are capable of ADSL2+ as well as max. If you really want to be future proofed, you want to look for a router capable of PPPoE as well as I think that is what you need for fibre  ;D
Lance
_____

Steve

I was thinking of that too, so you would need a router(no modem) and a separate adsl modem i.e Draytel Vigor 120 plus dual band wifi. It gets expensive ;D
Steve
------------

Lance

Not to mention gigabit ethernet :)
Lance
_____

mrapoc

ouch

fibre wont be coming to my area till im like...moved out :P

ill look over the speedtouchs and netgear for one to fit the bill

hows the Netgear DGN2000?

psp83

I'm happy with my Netgear DGN2000.

Netgear DGN2000 ADSL Wireless-N Modem Router
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147199

£74.70inc. vat

mrapoc

£50 odd on amazon :)

How long have you had yours? current issues i have read is overheating and strange slow downs and needing to be rebooted often

its that or a Netgear DG834G atm (not N but seems a stable buy)

psp83

Quote from: mrapoc on May 27, 2010, 21:43:02
hows the Netgear DGN2000?

Its a good router.

Best thing I like about it is.. you can have 4 wireless SSID's set up with different security. So if you got something that only works with WEP. You can have one setup for that.

psp83

Quote from: mrapoc on May 27, 2010, 22:05:02
£50 odd on amazon :)

How long have you had yours? current issues i have read is overheating and strange slow downs and needing to be rebooted often

its that or a Netgear DG834G atm (not N but seems a stable buy)

It gets warm like all routers, I use the stands with mine so it stays cooler. I've not had any other problems with mine. I've had it over 6 months now I think.

mrapoc

Cool...
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9925572/Netgear-DGN2000-Wireless-Router-With-Free-3G-Dongle-Voucher/Product.html

Wow...thats the one isnt it?

Good price...

edit: bought - hope its good for gaming :) guess it is, as you are a gamer iirc  :thumb:

pctech

Out of interest I've been looking at BT's business fibre product and with that they supply a a router with an ethernet WAN port which connects to a separate modem which terminates the incoming connection which is VDSL2 so don't think plugging your netgear into a socket supplying that is going to cut it.

Rik

On the domestic side, Mitch, they supply only the modem and you have to buy your own router.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: mrapoc on May 27, 2010, 18:19:51
All gaming is done via wired (ps3 and pc)

which is why i dont understand why i'm getting lag spikes (somtimes up to 10 seconds and then time out completely) and why servers are still hidden after unblocking ports.

Cannot help with the lag spikes. But as for the servers, if it's only on Steam. It's a known bug. The program sometimes deletes the server list from it's file, and gets stuck and does not create a new list. So you have to delete the file, for it to generate a new one. Here is the Steam support instructions.
   *  Exit from Steam completely
   * Download this custom file: MasterServers.vdf - If the file does not download when clicked, please right click this link and select "Save Target As..."
   * Place it in your \Steam\config\ folder (You will need to overwrite the current file already in place)
         o Default location: C:\Program Files\Steam\config\
   * Right click this updated file and select "Properties"
   * In the General tab, make sure the "Read-only" box is checked and click OK
   * Re-start Steam and test the issue
This should allow Steam to get the master server list, and find your servers you play on.
Unfortunately, you will still get kicked when you lag. :(

[edit]
PS, some new routers also have lists for games. Just click HL2, MW2, WOW ect.  :thumb:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

psp83

Quote from: mrapoc on May 27, 2010, 22:17:49
edit: bought - hope its good for gaming :) guess it is, as you are a gamer iirc  :thumb:

Yeah I play xbox online and have no problem.. You have QoS on the router aswell so give your PS3 highest priority over the rest. You might want to stick your PS3 IP into the DMZ zone aswell.

mrapoc

thanks very much :)

i game mainly on the pc but yeh all sounds very promising

as for that steam bug, yes maybe it is that but xfire could also have trouble finding many servers - hopefully all will be sorted :)

lag spikes in HoN = you very much dead and a very annoyed group of nerds on your team :)

faircot

psp83

Quote from: faircot on May 31, 2010, 16:46:48
Oh dear. Did you read the reviews here before buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DGN2000-Wireless-N-Router-Built/dp/B001E1UGOE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275319975&sr=1-4

No matter what the item is, There will always be bad reviews.

I personally have the DGN2000 and not got anything bad to say about it and trust me, it gets put through alot of stress (traffic) in this house. We have big gardens and the router is in the downstairs hall at the front of the house and I get 1 to 2 bar signal half way in the garden.

Yes it gets alittle warm, But its never got that hot that I couldn't touch it (like they say in the reviews) and mine sits about 2-3 feet away from a radiator.

At the end of the day.. You have 24 months warranty and you can also return it to the place you get it from if your not 100% happy with it.

pctech

Casing looks to be similar to the DG834 so it'll probably come with a stand so provided you use that and don't put it flat up against a wall so that there is air circulation you should be ok.

Most routers will run slightly warm, particularly if the casing is in contact with the chipset as encapsulation/decapsulation is quite a processor intensive process.