coreservers

absolutely crawling tonight. so looked at router stats

Connection Speed 285 kbps 1040 kbps
Line Attenuation 35 db 9.5 db
Noise Margin 31 db 5 db
:eek4:

and treid to run bt test twice

Download speedachieved during the test was - 164 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :285 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1040 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 27.44:18.9:53.66 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Rik

You know the answer, you've got a low speed sync, so low throughput. The profile will have no effect at the moment, your sync speed is determining your throughput. Do the usual checks, eg connect to the test socket, use a MW radio to try and detect any local noise. If that doesn't help, let support know.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

coreservers

I notice it's below BT's minimum. these are taken from the test socket. I've mailed support. I did ask support to remove interleaving, to try and improve ping times for gaming, could this have done it?
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Rik

It's always possible if interleaving was keeping the line stable.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

Well it's improved the ping times, there down from 43ms to 20ms. but I still cant game because the line's too unstable.  :bawl: :rant2: .

Rik

You may just have your answer there. :(
Rik
--------------------

psp83

If your line is unstable but you still want low pings (interleaving off) ask support to ask BT to increase your noise margin, It will give a lower sync, which means lower speed but might make the line stable without the ping increase.

Technical Ben

Sorry to hear it's gone pear shaped. I guess every line is different. I've got a perfect line, but a old exchange. So interleaving is off, and I'm all ok. How far are you from the exchange? Or have you rebooted the router since the swapover?  :dunno:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

coreservers

well called support.
basically due to "banding" I have the choice of high pings and interleaving on or low pings and a 164k throughput, both make gaming impossible. Which is one of the things I asked When I started, would it be better than sky's broadband for gaming, yes was the answer.

I've also found out that now it'll take up to 5 days to switch interleaving back on.

Wonderful  :slap:

Rik

You were given an honest answer, based on what was known at that time, namely the state of IDNet's network. What no-one could know, until you were connected, was just how bad your line was.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Did you get  remodulated back to adslmax or you still on adsl2+
Steve
------------

coreservers

I did ask to be switched to adsl max, some time ago, but after calling today, I get a mail stating "my new broadband order for ADSL2+ will be done in 5 days time". So I guess if it does come back. I'll have to re-request a move back to adslmax. seems a hell of a roundabout way to go about things

Rik

Rik
--------------------

coreservers

no idea rik, no idea. other than a crawling service. I was on adsl2+ then adslmax, now I've no idea, but I keep getting mails telling me new broadband service will be ready in 5 days, whenever I request something.

Rik

Well, it's too late for me to talk to support now, I can't really do anything till Tuesday. What's your upstream sync speed.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

285 kbps 1075 kbps
Line Attenuation 35 db 9.5 db
Noise Margin 31 db 5 db

Rik

That suggests a profiled ADSL2+ to me, but I can't be sure. Does your router indicate what modulation it's using?
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

seems now to be getting worse and worse (and ping times are back up to 34ms).

I am a global moderator on a site www.ukdetectornet.co.uk, which is quite photo heavy as it contains archaeological photos etc. Took me 2 minutes just to get logged in
and xbox live wont let me in at all. Which is really annoying as I've just got to a really good mission in red dead redemption!
. tried BT speedtest..... now always failing. speed.io ran after 3 minutes, see below

Getting to the stage I've no connection at all now.

coreservers

finally got a bt test to run!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 56 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :285 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1075 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 16.07:17.86:66.07 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: coreservers on May 29, 2010, 09:54:42
finally got a bt test to run!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 56 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :285 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1075 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 16.07:17.86:66.07 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

135kbps is the lowest profile and would suggest serious amounts of noise or multiple disconnections being seen by the exchange.

coreservers

I fear I've been put on the old circuit that they stuck me on when I first transferred to IDnet. it's acting the same way. that was a datastream circuit, and involved 2 weeks of arguing with BT,  :rant2:
just been off for another half hour.
the disconnects are not being made by me,
I've tried the fm radio, in the test socket etc. the only change was my request to have interleaving switched off. 17070 is perfectly quiet.

DorsetBoy

The circuit has not been changed, those stats show you are on a ADSL2+ line , when you went back to 8mb they remodulate the line , not physically change the connection.

What you have is noise/disconnects for some reason.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Except recent remodulations back to adslmax had maintained the upstream sync if I recall correctly??? But still it has to be a noisy connection
Steve
------------

Rik

Isn't that what the BT test shows, though, Steve?
Rik
--------------------