somethings gone terribly wrong

Started by coreservers, May 27, 2010, 20:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on May 29, 2010, 11:25:25
Upstream was 1075.

Which was how I knew the line was a remodulated ADSL2+  ;D

Steve

I am no disagreeing but for my own education how can you tell adsl2+ and a remodulated back to adslmax from a BT speedtest? When Alan (kinmel) was remodulated back his upstream sync stayed the same I think.
Steve
------------

coreservers

still falling now 50k throughput

and been offline for an hour. Think I'll call out of hours support, I'm supposed to be working from home tomorrow and monday

Download speedachieved during the test was - 50 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :285 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1067 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 8.0:8.0:84.0 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Rik

Quote from: Steve on May 29, 2010, 11:31:37
I am no disagreeing but for my own education how can you tell adsl2+ and a remodulated back to adslmax from a BT speedtest? When Alan (kinmel) was remodulated back his upstream sync stayed the same I think.

We can't for sure, Steve, but the connection has to be WBC for that u/s sync. Plus core made a reference to banding earlier, which means he's on, or been on WBC. He says he requested to remodulate to ADSL, so I'm assuming that's been done, but at that point things got a little confused.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

well been unable to connect all afternoon. only just got back on.
I left a detailled message for support at just after noon, stating I was offline, did I get the decency of a call back......... NO.

marvellous
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Rik

Odd, I contacted support and got a response quite quickly. I'll enquire. (Though I suspect that part of the problem is that there is nothing they can do for you till Tuesday when BT reopen.)
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: Steve on May 29, 2010, 11:31:37

My upstream improved to 768 on Adsl2+ and stayed the same when I reverted back to AdslMax , today I am  at 800 upstream on AdsdlMax.  My download stats are now exactly as they were before the upgrade/downgrade.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Quote from: coreservers on May 29, 2010, 19:11:43
well been unable to connect all afternoon. only just got back on.
I left a detailled message for support at just after noon, stating I was offline, did I get the decency of a call back......... NO.

marvellous

Support have emailed you. As I suspected, because BT are closed until Tuesday, there is nothing they can do for you over the weekend.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Update:

Support tell me your line has been 'up' since ~10am.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

then why I have been getting "unable to display web page all afternoon".
So it is almost instant to get interleaving turned off, but nearly a week to get it turned back on?

"Your circuit has been banded, this is a result of errors on the circuit. You will need to leave your hardware connected directly to the test port of the main socket. We can request the circuit be unbanded for you however the team within BT who can perform this operation will only be available again Tuesday. The only problem with this is that if there is an underlying fault with your hardware internally the circuit will simply be banded again. If you believe the fault is with BT and would like us to arrange an engineer again this is something we can do for you, but you must be aware of possible charges should BT locate a fault with your hardware."

I am absolutely furious. when I called to ask about interleaving etc, it was vertainly never explained that it could lead to this shambles.

welcome to 21st century british technology. a great achievement.

DorsetBoy

QuoteYour circuit has been banded, this is a result of errors on the circuit.

Put simply this means there is noise/interference on the line and the BT equipment has responded to that, what is needed is to find the cause of the noise.

coreservers

The only change made. was to request interleaving be turned off. is it that difficult to reset it?

Rik

It takes time, it's done by BT, and they don't work weekends and holidays.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

ah well thats 6 hours overtime lost this weekend. car boot it is

DorsetBoy

If there is a large amount of noise,interleaving will cut back in automatically,BT will not switch it off if the line is unstable in any case. This is why you have been asked to leave the router on so the line stats can be checked.

The "change" as you put it is NOT the cause of the profile drop.

coreservers

seems too much of a coincidence. it's been pretty stable for a month or so at 5mb, I call up on tuesday saking about having interleaving turned off, Thursday... it all goes belly up.

it's actually dropped below the "acceptable thruput" for 135k profile now at 40k.   

Rik

The key word there is stable. Interleaving helps stability. On a poor line, and that includes mine, your choice is between fast pings and stability. There may be other factors involved, but that's the essential physics of ADSL.
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: coreservers on May 30, 2010, 07:37:36
I call up on tuesday saking about having interleaving turned off, Thursday... it all goes belly up.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!! the NOISE is causing the problem, with interleaving on the line is more stable >> INTERLEAVING EXPLAINED

coreservers

Frankly dorsetboy with rude abusive answers like that I'd rather you just left my posts alone in future, I debated a point. You've used capitals so in future leave my posts alone you rude man

Rik

Dorset was just trying to explain what has triggered your problems. He appears to have used caps for emphasis when I would have used italics, but the essence would have been the same.
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: coreservers on May 30, 2010, 10:15:59
Frankly dorsetboy with rude abusive answers like that I'd rather you just left my posts alone in future, I debated a point. You've used capitals so in future leave my posts alone you rude man

Rude? Venting frustration perhaps but the intention was not to be rude.

However perhaps you should take a few minutes to read over your 200+ posts here .

You continually disparage BT,IDNet and other ISP's  yet fail to listen to the facts that are laid out for you. Your exchange is severely congested,something an ISP can do nothing about, you have an unstable line which is suffering from noise and interference which adds to your problems.

Support, forum staff and many members have over time tried to help you, but, for reasons known only to yourself you choose to ignore all requests to give the required data or do what is requested to assist in finding a solution.

The forum itself contains a vast amount of material provided to help members, this has been linked in your threads yet it is apparently ignored.

You consistently ignore advice that is given and just come back posting with more complaints about speeds,the test results you give it has been explained on numerous occasions are not the ones required to resolve things , in short you choose to do nothing  to help yourself.

From where I stand it is hardly polite to continually post as you do and waste the time that has been so freely given by forum staff and members.

It has been clearly explained to you what the issues are,what interleaving is and why it comes in to play and for some reason you ignore this and carry on posting complaints.

No ISP can switch noise margins up or down nor can they change the status of interleaving,they have to request the action from BT.

BT are only available to ISP's Monday to Friday (unless the line is covered by Enhanced Care).
BT will not make instant changes to a line that is unstable either.

Knowing from past experience how frustrating a bad line can be I tried to assist you.

You have requested I leave your threads/posts alone in future, I will be more than happy to oblige you in this. Rest assured that as of now I will not be wasting any more time reading your posts..

coreservers

nice to know Tuesday made all the difference..... not.
Depsite 1st mentioning it to support last thursday. Still got a 32k line. nowt seems to have been done. still 31db snr, still disconnecting every 2-3 hours.

Sorry but it's not good enough. not by a long way, whether it's BT or IDnet, i know it's BT, IDnet are my isp. it's up to them.

Rik

As I understand it, IDNet have informed you that they've passed your case to BT and requested unbanding. The removal of interleaving triggered this latest issue, and as you know, that was at your request.

Following a bank holiday weekend BT have, undoubtedly, been swamped by similar requests and you will have to take your place in the queue. As I understand it, you've asked for unbanding before, and it's entirely possible that BT may refuse on this occasion, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

What you have to come to terms with is that your line is inherently unstable, and you cannot expect low pings and stability at the same time. Either you accept the higher pings, or low speeds, that's simply the physics of ADSL.
Rik
--------------------