PCLinuxOS 2010

Started by DorsetBoy, Jun 01, 2010, 14:27:30

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetBoy

Running from the Live CD which loaded in 2 minutes flat having automatically found all the drivers needed including graphics and wireless mouse/keyboard .

This OS really has come of age,it is very slick and easy to use.

Rik

Going Linux is becoming a bit like choosing the best dish from the menu. :) (Hey, I got food in, legitimately, at reply 1 ;D)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

esh

This is Mandriva/Mandrake, right?

Descriptive as it may be, it could do with a catchier name though!
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

DorsetBoy

Quote from: esh on Jun 01, 2010, 15:03:03
This is Mandriva/Mandrake, right?

Descriptive as it may be, it could do with a catchier name though!

It is based around Mandriva,the name though was well debated some time ago and is not changing. This distro is gaining backing and support all around the world now with support sites in many countries/languages.

pctech

Think they had to change the name due to it conflicting with a trademark.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: pctech on Jun 01, 2010, 18:21:08
Think they had to change the name due to it conflicting with a trademark.

Nope, it has had the same name since 2003 when the distro was founded by Texstar.

esh

I'll have to give it a try sometime. For the time being though, I will continue using OverlyBloatedProprietaryOS 7.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

pctech

I'll be going for that on my next PC too as I need to know my way around it and how to fix it for work purposes as along with good training the best way to learn I think is to break it and then fix it.

Glenn

How easy is it for a complete Linux virgin to install, then getl PHP, MySQL and Apache running? I no around about zero Linux CLI commands.
Glenn
--------------------

pctech

Linux is quite easy to install itself (if you are using Mandriva or Ubuntu, cant comment on Debian which is generally used for servers) but not tinkered a great deal with the features you are referring to.

Steve

The VortexBox software which I use for my music is based on Fedora 11 and already has those three installed. I've not tried putting smf on it as the music is on the same drive and would hate to have restore it all again
Steve
------------

Glenn

Cheers Steve, I'll give it a go, I was given a Dell GX620 the other day, so I can play on that.
Glenn
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Glenn on Jun 02, 2010, 17:03:30
How easy is it for a complete Linux virgin to install, then getl PHP, MySQL and Apache running? I no around about zero Linux CLI commands.

Take a look at the Bel project Glen, it may well save you some time.

http://belproject.org/

http://belproject.org/mwiki/index.php?title=Downloads

http://belproject.org/mwiki/index.php?title=BEL-ify_PCLinuxOS_2009

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Glenn on Jun 02, 2010, 17:03:30

I think this it for Ubuntu sudo tasksel install lamp-server

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
Steve
------------

DorsetBoy

Well, I spent a while today fully installing PCLOS2010 to a partition next to Win7 and setting up the Compiz 3D  desktop etc. The whole process is now much easier than a Windows install and most packages I wanted now auto install from the package manager.

Just added Claws mail with some of the plugins rather than Thunderbird3 which I detest with a passion, the included wizard made set up very simple and the account settings are better than any I have seen before. Claws is a really good mail system,I am glad I gave it a try.