Quiet Line Test?

Started by gyruss, Jun 04, 2010, 21:14:38

Previous topic - Next topic

gyruss

Rik,
I saw in another of your replies you mentioned this 17070 quiet line test, so with regard to my own 'suspect' noise issues that i can hear when i pick up the only 'wired' phone in the house thats plugged into my phone socket on my adslnation faceplate, i tested it both with the faceplate and 2 different phones aswell as in the socket thats behind the faceplate.

I am hearing not a constant noise of interference, but it comes and goes, but is very erratic.    bit like the sound you hear when you are between stations on the radio.

You know the problems i've had, and i've followed your great advice so far, but could I do you think have a problem with my line?  My problems have been there since i moved in, and not all the time either, but after 2 new routers and a re-cable to twisted-pair and much patience later, i'm so out of ideas. :/

j
Jase

Adam

What is your estimated line length and stats?
Adam

gyruss

Is this the type of info you are after?

Chester Central
1.32km (direct)
1.65km (by road)

Done just now after reconnecting router to come on here to post:

--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG320N
Firmware Version: 1.00.08 , 2009-08-27T19:37:13
Boot Version: 1.06
Hardware Version: 0.01

--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI:         0/38
DSL Status:          Showtime
DSL Mode:            G.DMT
DSL Channel:         
DSL Upstream Rate:   928 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 6656 Kbps

Down         up   
DSL Noise Margin:    15.3 dB      10.0 dB
DSL Attenuation:     37.0 dB      20.5 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  19.8 dBm     12.6 dBm
Jase

gyruss

internal wiring is the adslnation filter faceplate, and 15 meter run of twisted pair to router.  It passes one isolated power cable which i've shut off to a radiator at top of stairs.. but thats it.  radio test shows no noise at that location either.

no pinches in cable, no magnetic fields or coils either nearby.
Jase

gyruss

anyone know of a working dmt tool for the router i've got ?  the Linksys(cisco) wag320N?  i'd happily monitor my line during work hours to attempt a clearer diagnosis if i had something that can read my router stats page
Jase

Adam

Based on the attenuation the actual line length is ~2.5km, though noise may be affecting that. You have a fairly high noise margin which could be reduced to increase the line speed, with a lower noise margin you should be able to hit ~7250kbps. I have a similar line (36db attn) and got between 6500-8000kbps with ADSL, and hit a constant 8200kbps with ADSL2+ with a 6db noise margin.

Do you notice any noise during phone calls, or have you tried monitoring the connection with routerstats?
Adam

gyruss

Usually when i have 'connection problems' and loss of service (as posted previously on occasions), i pick up the phone and listen, and can hear noise very clearly indeed.  There is only the one phone in the house so no extensions, so in the adsl nation filtered plate i have 1 phone and the twisted pair cable which then runs upstairs to my computer room/den .
Jase

gyruss

this test just now was not encouring to say the least :/

Jase

Steve

Quote from: gyruss on Jun 04, 2010, 21:26:58
anyone know of a working dmt tool for the router i've got ?  the Linksys(cisco) wag320N?  i'd happily monitor my line during work hours to attempt a clearer diagnosis if i had something that can read my router stats page

If you wander down the page you see  a link to routerstats.ini file for the wag320N, may be of use?

http://208.74.204.125/t5/Cable-and-DSL/WAG320N-Connection-Problem/td-p/317255/page/4
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Adam

If you can clearly hear noise, and are sure your internal wiring is not at fault, it may be worth getting the line checked out. The speed test is rather odd as your sync is over 6000kbps. Have you tried a BT speedtest to check your profile out?
Adam

gyruss

Going to run that in a short while, have to pop out to pick my friend and his missus up from the airport for now though, so will run it later when i get back in.

I have had multiple occasions where my connection has dropped and what looks like my adsl has resync'd, so i wouldn't be surprised if this 'noise' has forced the resyncs, and lowered my profile.

thanks for your input thusfar.  appreciated.  bbl once i'm home.
Jase

Adam

Indeed, one of the main issues of BTw based connections is the profiling system.
Adam

gyruss

Download speedachieved during the test was - 368 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6656 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 928 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.96:25.0:63.04 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
Jase

Adam

A profile issue, as ever. Your sync in generally fine, it's a matter of waiting for the profile to catch up.
Adam

gyruss

Ok so this leads me right back to my original suspicion:  is the noise i can hear responsible for the resync's thus causing my lowered profile ?

Jase

Adam

If there is noise on the line it will likely cause a resync, which could cause the profile to lower if it syncs at a low sync at reconnect.
Adam

Rik

Given what you say, Gyruss, I'd put a filter into the faceplate and try the quiet line test with the router connected to that, just to eliminate it (using the test socket would be even better).
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Went to the bt wholesale site that tells you what your line supports, i presume the below is given due to the profile in place currently??

QuoteFor Telephone Number *************** on Exchange CHESTER CENTRAL

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps. When ADSL2+ Annex M is launched our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 500Kbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Jase

Rik

It's not usually that accurate, or rapid at updating.
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

After getting home from doing overtime at work today, done another check:

Had to power off/power on router again as internet light not lit, but Profile today is 6033k

Jase

gyruss

Out of interest? if I arranged a phone and internet package with IDNET, would i have more hope of getting my line sorted by avoiding BT altogether? or does it work out that line faults still go through BT?
Jase

Rik

Faults go through IDNet, but the underlying line is still with BT Openreach. OTOH, when I did have a problem, IDNet had an engineer here in <2 hours.
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Jase

pctech

Think its still connected to OR's infrastructure so to all intents and purposes its a BT line but they bill IDNet and IDNet bill you.

gyruss

If this is proven to be say.. a fault in the box and on 'their side' of the master socket though?  wouldn't they do the work without charge to end user?

I'm really wary of the cost because frankly with an infant around spare money is not something i've seen in quite some time, it was all i could do at the time to replace the router, faceplate and cabling in honesty.

Just at my wits end, its the source of much stress.
Jase