Quiet Line Test?

Started by gyruss, Jun 04, 2010, 21:14:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

They decide based on whether they think RF interference is the problem. You might persuade an engineer to fit one if he's friendly. They won't help long lines as such, but obviously will help long lines affected by RFI. Electric fences make wonderful antennae. You can probably buy one, but it's better to get BT to fit it.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

ChanceyGardner

gyruss

absolutely no better off for this new socket and filter.

Just in the last 10 minutes have had two drops in connection, with the dsl light unilluminating and reconnecting before internet light re-lights.

less than a 500k connection since middle of last week, no sign of recovery.

gutted.

Reckon i should call BT back?  after all, the chap from openreach who came saw the cabling etc and had nothing negative whatseover to comment on it.
Jase

Rik

Talk to support, they should know what the engineer had to say.
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Today speed is a little better, but be honest, if your 'usual' connection was 5.8meg to 6.4meg, would the following be .. encouraging?

Not had chance to speak with support today as have been busy at work.

BT Speedtest result:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1965 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5760 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 928 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2194 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.76:19.19:63.05 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
Jase

Rik

No, but it's a matter of what's causing it, and that seems elusive. Fwiw, my noise margin has dropped by 3db over the past week, it's as if someone threw a switch and turned on a noise machine. Yesterday, it shot up to 9db, I forced a re-sync and got my 3.5M profile back. Today, and equally suddenly, the noise margin dropped back to 3db. There are weird thing going on out there and I can't help but wonder what. 21CN work would be one possibility, large amounts of cross-talk another, hot VPs a third - but I don't have a definitive answer. :(
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Joking aside can you imagine how sick as a parrot i was when watching tv with my other half the other day when this suddenly came on the telly not long after i'd been so down over my lousy bb speeds :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HZIeghzRrg
Jase

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I notice that they forget to mention, 20mb can't be provided nationwide.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Or, right now, probably anywhere. ;D
Rik
--------------------

pctech

They also don't mention its shaped either,

gyruss

have emailed idnet to see if they can get any info for me.. its now over 5 days since the work was done by BT openreach and my profile is only 2194k as at tonight, at least before this socket and filter was put in it tried to get a 5meg or more profile.. i hear noise on voice calls again too.

I realise IDNET are not responsible for the phone line but one does get the feeling that you are quite 'alone' with faults like this and if it wasn't for idnetters i would have had pretty much no input from idnet themselves on this.
Jase

Glenn

Jase, if you are still getting crackling on the line, then report it to BT again.
Glenn
--------------------