Error Seconds

Started by Odos, Jun 05, 2010, 18:41:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Odos

Hi all,

Just a quick question, in router stats what does the "local" part refer to in the "Error Seconds Local/Remote" section ?

I ask because over this last week my CRC's have gone crazy. I used to get around 1000 a day now I'm hitting 31000 in 21 hours. I've swapped my 2700 back to the old speedtouch I used to use and my sync has gone up and the errors have reduced drastically to around 7000 a day.

On checking the stats a minute ago it reads "Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 830 / 0" So what does the local refer to ?

Thanks
Tony

Steve

I am guessing local is detected by your router,remote ??
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Remote is the exchange, normally.
Rik
--------------------

Odos

So local errors are errors that my modem detects on the adsl line and the remote errors are the ones the exchange records ???

I imagined something like that at first but it didn't seem to make any sense when I thought about it. If the remote errors are what the exchange detects why doesn't it detect and register any errors because any requests for packet resend from my modem must obviously be treated as errors ?

I asked the question because I began wondering if "local" errors could be faults between the router and PC, ie local network errors and not ADSL errors. Another thing which made me wonder this is that even with the sky high CRC's my net connection was solid with no drops or re-syncs.

Oh well yet another one of those broadband mysteries I guess ;D

Thanks for the replies guys.
Tony

Steve

Quote from: Odos on Jun 05, 2010, 20:07:57

I imagined something like that at first but it didn't seem to make any sense when I thought about it. If the remote errors are what the exchange detects why doesn't it detect and register any errors because any requests for packet resend from my modem must obviously be treated as errors ?

I pose the question, if a request for a packet resend  is passed through the exchange without issue how can it be classed as an error ?
Steve
------------

Odos

Quote from: Steve on Jun 05, 2010, 20:32:47
I pose the question, if a request for a packet resend  is passed through the exchange without issue how can it be classed as an error ?

To my way of thinking ( which of course may be totally wrong :) ) because it is a packet resend request Or put another way, the information you originally sent never arrived in readable form ( errored ) please resend.

Tony

pctech

What speedtouch router are you using, this would allow us to determine exactly what it is measuring.

Odos

Quote from: pctech on Jun 05, 2010, 21:17:51
What speedtouch router are you using, this would allow us to determine exactly what it is measuring.

I'm connected at the moment with a speedtouch 546. As I said in the opening post I have been using a 2700 for getting on for a year but the unrecoverable errors went through the roof this past week so I switched back to the 546. No where near as many errors as the 2700 but still not good  :(

Quote from: pctech on Jun 05, 2010, 21:33:43
This may help

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

Thats some real good info   :thumb: but unless I'm missing something it tells you what is being measured but not where. It doesn't say what is specifically meant by  "local" as opposed to "remote" in "Error Seconds (Local/Remote): :-\

Tony

pctech

I think as Rik says local means up to the exchange and remote may mean somewhere in the network beyond that.

I will endeavour to find out for you.

Steve

If you look at certain router stats with reference to Vendor ID. it's listed as local/remote. Local is the router chipset type id code and remote is the DLM or MSAN chipset id code.
Steve
------------

pctech

I've found a lot of info about your router but sadly no info about what specifically yourt router maybe referring to as local.

I suspect this kind of info is provided in documentation provided to ISPs that supplied the speedtouch as Customer Prmises Equipment

If your connection is performing poorly I would just give support a call.

Thing to bear in mind is that different manufacturers (and even firmware versions) will measure different things.

If your connection is ok I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Glenn

To my mind;
Local = LAN
Remote = WAN
Glenn
--------------------

pctech

Yes it would just seem strange to see a lot of this on a short patch link I think Glenn unless its getting hammered by electrical interference.

Odos

Quote from: Glenn on Jun 06, 2010, 09:28:37
To my mind;
Local = LAN
Remote = WAN

I am thinking along the same lines now Glenn  :)

There is certainly something weird with my stats though. My CRC's have gone through the roof again and the error seconds are just stupid. Full stats are

Uptime:         0 days, 22:44:22

Modulation:      G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down)
[kbps/kbps]:      448 / 3,008

Data Transferred
(Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:0.00 / 5.00

Output Power (Up/Down)
[dBm]:          11.5 / 18.0

Line Attenuation
(Up/Down) [dB]:      31.5 / 58.0

SN Margin (Up/Down)
[dB]:         16.0 / 7.5

Vendor ID
(Local/Remote):      TMMB / ALCB

Loss of Framing
(Local/Remote):      0 / 0

Loss of Signal
(Local/Remote):      8 / 0

Loss of Power
(Local/Remote):      0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds
(Local/Remote):      6,294 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   228 / 760,839

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   4 / 24,525

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   6 / 21,212

No re-sync or loss of connection though and the throughput seems to be fine. I initially thought it might have been the 2700 having a brainstorm because of this but swapping for the 546 and it's still the same.

Anyway thanks guys  :thnks:
It doesn't seem to be affecting my actual connection, it was more a case of I'd like to know what it is and where it's being measured more than anything else  :blush:
Tony

pctech

pctech

Had a bit more info for you (I sought advice elosewhere too)

Seems to be that local is errors are that picked up and corrected by your router while remote are detected and corrected by the Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) if you are on BT's older network or Multi Service Access Node (MSAN) if on 21CN

Sorry to anyone that already knew the acronyms, just wanted to be clear to those that may not.

In a nutshell there's nothing to worry about.

Odos

Thanks a lot PC, at least now I know what the numbers refer to  :thumb:

Once again  :ithank:
Tony

pctech

No prob