Why do I do it?

Started by D-Dan, Jun 07, 2010, 20:14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

On Saturday I decided to upgrade my router firmware (ST 585 v6) to the latest (in Australia) 8.2.2.5. Now I tried this once before and it ended in tears, but it's long enough ago that the pain was just a memory.

Anyway, by last night the router crashes had started again, though fortunately I caught it fast enough that it didn't flag up an error with BTs profiling.

I plugged in the Netgear router, and went and got an earlier firmware version (sadly, a full generation behind what had been working fine for months - V6. something) and downgraded. Then although the router was stable, the ethernet wasn't and kept losing connection. Back to the Netgear. Unfortunately, the Netgear syncs just slower enough than the ST to have lost me 600K on my profile.

Finally, tonight I found the V7 firmware that has been problem free, upgraded and I hope it stays stable again.

The question is, having been through all this before, why the hell did I try it again?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Den

Because you are human  ;D
Mr Music Man.

Simon

Because we can't resist an upgrade?  ;D
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Because we always believe it will be different 'this time'. ;)
Rik
--------------------

MisterW

Because you forgot Rule 1 - ' If it aint broke , don't ****** about with it!' :D

D-Dan

Something strange happened. After fixing the speedtouch (i.e. - downgrade too far then upgrade back to where it was before I messed with it) I synced at about 7,500. Since this was evening period, I rebooted the router this morning when noise was lower and synced at 7,715. I was quite happy with this because it would get my 6,500 profile back after 3 - 4 days.

Imagine my surprise when I got home tonight to find it had re-synced again all by itself today at 8,581  :eek4:

Can't see it lasting. SNR is currently 3.5. If it drops below about 2.5 I'll lose sync again - but let's see if the profile catches it before that happens ;)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Rik
--------------------