Whats happening???

Started by Rudds, Jun 07, 2010, 20:54:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirian

Hi Again Folks - been reading - is this the router stats that folk were referring to in earlier posts that is required to get further help

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:13:52

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 10.62 / 83.43

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 11.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 8.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 8.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Regards
Sirian
/?

Simon

I think it's some of it.  What router is it, Andy?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

They all look fine to me,any issues you had tonight are probably down to BTs Network, hopefully we'll have more info tomorrow.
Steve
------------

Gary

All has been ok here tonight, been online gaming pings are the same as usual

PING www.idnet.net (212.69.36.10): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=31.690 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=30.445 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=31.002 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=31.488 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=31.842 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=59 time=32.307 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=6 ttl=59 time=30.329 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=7 ttl=59 time=30.638 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=8 ttl=59 time=31.368 ms
64 bytes from 212.69.36.10: icmp_seq=9 ttl=59 time=31.161 ms
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sirian

Its a Speedtouch 585 v6.  I also have a BT voyager 2100 router I can set up.  is there a particular router anyone would recommend??

My speeds have recovered now though - showing a little over 7 mb/s so I guess the reasoning that it was a BT issue tonight is the real answer.

I'd be happy if it was - I was just concerned as a new Idnet customer that the evening peak speeds would be as bad as my previous provider - well they weren't as bad as Pipex but heading in that direction and I guess I was freaking out a bit - all the help on the Forum kinda assured me that this was not the "usual" service from IDnet though.

Thanks for all your help - I'm still reading!

Best Regards

Sirian
/?

Gary

Quote from: Sirian on Jun 07, 2010, 23:05:33
Its a Speedtouch 585 v6.  I also have a BT voyager 2100 router I can set up.  is there a particular router anyone would recommend??

My speeds have recovered now though - showing a little over 7 mb/s so I guess the reasoning that it was a BT issue tonight is the real answer.

I'd be happy if it was - I was just concerned as a new Idnet customer that the evening peak speeds would be as bad as my previous provider - well they weren't as bad as Pipex but heading in that direction and I guess I was freaking out a bit - all the help on the Forum kinda assured me that this was not the "usual" service from IDnet though.

Thanks for all your help - I'm still reading!

Best Regards

Sirian
/?

IDNet don't throttle or shape, and evening speeds are always as fast as day as they don't over subscribe, they really are not like other ISP's but I can see how you would ponder on that  :)

Steve

The Speedtouch is fine for your connection I'd stick with that. To add to Gary's post I've not seen any congestion on IDNet's network since the hostlink went live sometime ago, however the odd user will still see local BT exchange congestion which is often manifest in the early to mid evening periods.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

I had also had a few minor problems earlier on, somewhere around 9.00pm I'd say. I was unable to conduct any tests but there seemed to be a lot of lag spikes on my connection. Everything seems ok now except my throughput is down by around 20% which is unusual as it's normally rock solid at any time of day or night.
zap
--------------------

Rudds

Things looking a lot better this morning folks........ back to normal hopefully  :fingers:

Paul

DorsetBoy

Gary

Just a note, Speedtest.net is not very reliable, so its not always good to go buy it. Its told me before I have a 13mbps download speed which would be amazing on AdslMax, IDNet have I believe pointed this out as well. :)

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Gary on Jun 08, 2010, 07:49:54
Just a note, Speedtest.net is not very reliable, so its not always good to go buy it. Its told me before I have a 13mbps download speed which would be amazing on AdslMax, IDNet have I believe pointed this out as well. :)

Which because of the vagaries of Adsl can  happen on any speed tester including speedtester.bt.com which has in the past insisted my throughput was 10 x the Max rate.

Speedtest,net and Broadband Max testers consistently give me the same results for my line,and I use them to prove a stable speed,not the actual speed whatever that really is.

Look at any tester that shows pings via different browsers and the results are very different. Change from Windows Command prompt ping command to the equivalent in a Linux Konsole and yet again we see different results for the same IP address, Linux pings are always lower than Windows.

Rik

I've spoken to support and there were no issues on the IDNet network last night, but they confirm the Reading node problem plus one exchange. If anyone's still having problems, could you do a BT speed test and post here or email to support, please. :)

Welcome to Sirian & Rudds. :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Steve on Jun 07, 2010, 21:46:45
We have a hard task master who's probably enjoying his tea >:D

Hey, I'm a big softie really. ;D
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Everything is fine for me today  :thumb:

zap
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sirian

Hi All,

I'm still having problems although they may not be related - my speed did recover last night to a little above 7 mb/s and I thought that was the end of it.  At 1am I did another BT speed test and my IP profile had dropped to 2000 kb/s.

I did speak to tech support this morning and was re-assured that this will be due to the 10 day stabilisation period but having done a check a few minutes ago nothing has changed yet and I am fairly concerned. . .

My latest speed results are below - anyone any ideas?

Test1 compri   Download  Speed
   1767 Kbps

0 Kbps   2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1767 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

Many Thanks

Sirian
/?

Rik

Don't worry, that's just the line settling. If the profile stays that way for more than a day or so, give support another ring as they might be able to kick it (it would suggest a stuck profile if it stays at 2M).
Rik
--------------------

Sirian

Thanks Rik - I'd like to give it a kick.  I'm just a little freaked out as I have not encountered this before - for the first few days my connection was fairly buzzing so a shock to see it like this.  It has only been like this since 1am so I'm happy to be patient for another day or so to give things time to settle.  Gives me time to trawl around the forum and "learn" about what is going on. . . - Hey great forum and almost instant help and support - much appreciated!

Best Regards

Sirian
/?

Rik

Hi Sirian

I've just had a word with support, your line has dropped 32 times in the last four days. Are you re-booting your router?
Rik
--------------------

Sirian

Hi Rik,

I generally turn off the router when I turn off the PC - I did get booted just after I came on line 20 minutes ago or so when the router booted itself.  Is the advice to leave the router on all the time??

Sirian
/?

Steve

I think looking at the router stats he's plugged directly into the exchange anyway ;D  (downstream attenuation of 8db)
Steve
------------

Steve

Best to leave the router on 24/7. Power downs may be seen as instability and the response by the exchange equipment is to increase the noise margin and as a consequence lower your sync. Your fortunate that you are near to the exchange so that its not happened. Exceptions,if your supplied by overhead cables best to turn off during a thunderstorm.
Steve
------------

Rik

Hi Sirian

Can you leave the router permanently connected, please, the line management software needs to see how stable your line is, so 24/7 is the order of the day. Brian has just had your target noise margin reset from 9db to 6db, that in itself will have little effect on your sync speed but it will, hopefully, trigger a profile shift. Resist all urges to re-boot the router. ;)

If you see it dropping out still, we need to take a look at your phone wiring, so let us know.

Glad you like the forum.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Sirian

Ok - I'm happy to leave the routed on 24/7.  I will have to turn off one more time to plug into a different socket so I can still turn off the PC - but I'll leave that for now and do it later this evening.  The router has never re-booted itself (except the one occasion I mentioned) in over two years.

You are correct I am very close to the exchange - could see it from my sittingroom if there weren't houses in the way - about 600 meters or so.

Again thanks for all the help and advice - I should try and get some work done but the forum chat is much more stimulating!!

Sirian
/?