Local area connection status?

Started by Bud, Jun 30, 2010, 10:07:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud

Ok...scuse me for my ignorance but can anyone tell me what this is all about:

When I'm not browsing and just working (offline) with my modem (DM111P) still turned on and I check out my local area connection status, the number in the received section is rising...does this mean that I'm using up bandwidth?
I'm on a learning curve

Glenn

It will most likely be the modem sending/receiving packets to keep the connection live.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

My router uses around 0.2mb per day if I don't use it.
Glenn
--------------------

Bud

Thanks. The receiving figure is moving quite rapidly but the send is static so what is this?
I'm on a learning curve

Simon

Anything running in the background which might be using data?  Anti virus updating, eg?
Simon.
--

Bud

Yes, windows update and antivirus updates but how do I check to see what's running when I'm offline?
I'm on a learning curve

Simon

Does "working offline" actually mean your connection is totally inactive?  Sorry, I've never used that function, so it's not a 'funny' question.

Do you have a firewall that details incoming and outgoing traffic?  That might give some clues.
Simon.
--

Bud

When working offline with the old usb modems I would just disconnect from the internet, but if it's not advisable to turn off this netgear modem then if I spend hours working on stuff without using the internet I'm still clocking up bandwidth. I understand that once I turn off my pc there is no traffic so what's the difference to BT whether my modem or pc is switched off as far as my profile goes?
I'm on a learning curve

Simon

I think switching your modem / router off at night is OK, if you wish to do so, but continual disconnections / reconnections can make the BT software think your line is unstable, which will result in a dropped profile.  If your connection needs to recover from some  sort of event, I think it needs to stay 'up' for a few days, as I believe IDNet have advised.
Simon.
--

Lance

Because your modem will retain sync even when no traffic is going through. BT don't see what your PC is doing.

Don't forget as well that local area connection is between you and your router and any other traffic on your own network will get logged as well.
Lance
_____

Bud

Ok got it...so when my modem and pc is switched on, I'm online all the time and anything running in the background looking for updates or monitoring the system will use up bandwidth?

When my pc is off and my modem is on my profile is not under threat?

When I turn off my modem my profile will suffer?

So what's the difference between sending and receiving figures on the local area connection status and what do they mean?
I'm on a learning curve

Lance

Quote from: Bud on Jun 30, 2010, 12:03:16
Ok got it...so when my modem and pc is switched on, I'm online all the time and anything running in the background looking for updates or monitoring the system will use up bandwidth?

Yes, albeit a minimal amount.

When my pc is off and my modem is on my profile is not under threat?

No - the line can pick up noise or become unstable still. Throughput isn't the cause and the state of your PC is irrelevant to the workings of the line.

When I turn off my modem my profile will suffer?

It shouldn't, but it does happen. It depends on how much noise your line picks up. Stable noise means that when switching on the router the same sync range will be acheived. If you negotiate sync when there is high noise, the sync will be reduced, impacting your profile.

So what's the difference between sending and receiving figures on the local area connection status and what do they mean?

Not sure I understand that, other than the blindingly obvious.
Lance
_____