Phone rings

Started by psp83, Jun 22, 2010, 15:55:22

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

When the phone rings my router looses sync.. The phone doesn't have to be picked up either.

What can cause this? Its a filtered faceplate put on by BT, its about a year old.

Steve

It could be a faulty faceplate , can you use the test socket with a soap n rope and see if it still happens
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

That would certainly be my first thought too, Paul.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

The other option is a failing router as I've experienced that as the cause before (an old linksys unit years ago).
Lance
_____

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

It's always possible, Niall, but more usually it works the other way - a ring voltage can wet a poor joint and improve the line.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

An underground earth leak caused my problem, but the line only dropped when I picked up the phone.
Glenn
--------------------

klipp

Hi psp83, I've been suffering with a similar problem to you for the past 2 or 3 weeks.  I would lose sync when the phone rings, and also randomly lose sync at other times.  My sync rate took a beating as a result of this.

I spent £100 on new phones (worth it, they are great phones ;D), I also bought replacement microfilters, and laid fresh extension cable for my 1 extension socket.

After all that effort, to my horror, the problem continued, although to a lesser extent.  Random sync drops would occur every 1 or 2 days.

Having made no further alterations to my phone/router setup, it has mysteriously gone back to normal as of Friday just gone.  I've got about 130 hours uptime right now, so hopefully this continues and my sync rate will improve again.

So, yeh, it might sound like weird advice, but doing "nothing" for a few days seemed to fix it for me.

coreservers

my phone sometimes rings once, randomly, but has no number when 1471 is dialled, althuogh it hasnt since I put on an adsl faceplate.
I think it was mentioned somewhre that this is generally a fault awith a box somewhere down the line. We also however had a new taxi firm start up 10 days ago, and when driving past their new office, the car radio, usually set to radio 2, would crackle and pick up parts of their messages. also around then a few people had big wireless issues in the area, turns out the firm were using illegal radio gear. that's been removed and all seems fine now
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality