Poor speeds as well.

Started by gazzthompson, Jun 22, 2010, 13:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzthompson

Been happening last two days.

Little slower than normal (3-4) but im having to buffer youtube videos ?

Pings alot higher than normal, is in game as well. Whats up?

Tests done at 13:20 BST. Not exactly peak time?

tashtego

Quote from: gazzthompson on Jun 22, 2010, 13:21:12
Tests done at 13:20 BST. Not exactly peak time?

Oh, but it is. Package details show peak time as 9am through till midnight!!!
http://www.idnet.net/solutions/home/broadband/homesuperpro.jsp

Simon_idnet

We saw a burst of traffic during the Budget speech earlier this afternoon. Right now there are two World Cup matches streaming and Andy Murray is playing = a lot of video streaming is taking place. Connections on the 21CN network appear to be holding up well but we are seeing congestion on BT's 20CN network.

Tomorrow is likely to be very high in terms of congestion if recent form is any indication (not England's form) because tomorow's match is important and it is the first match to be live online during working hours.

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Shame BT can't predict the demand as well as IDNet, Simon. :)
Rik
--------------------

tashtego

I'm sure they're well able to predict it, just not able to respond to it.

Rik

I'm sure BT take the view that a short-term event doesn't warrant long-term investment, even if that means the service level is unacceptable.
Rik
--------------------

gazzthompson

So its BTs problem and nothing Idnet can do about it? you can understand my frustration when im paying £35~ for a internet service that cant buffer youtube videos.

Rik

If I'm right, yes. The IDNet network has extra capacity laid on, but BT haven't made similar arrangements, so their VPs and backhaul, which every BT-based ISP relies upon, are somewhat clogged. I'm running at about 1/3rd speed right now.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

This is getting worse by the day, check out the attachment, a summery of my recent speed tests. It's not exchange congestion, we have friends living in the same street on Nildram and they don't have these issues. I'm sure of this because for the last two weeks I've been using their connection to work from. Here's a BT speed test just done, it thinks I have a fault and is attempting to run a second test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 565 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

QuoteIn order to commence the second performance test, you are required to temporarily re-configure your Connection settings.

[attachment deleted by admin]
zap
--------------------

Rik

You speed is lower than the acceptable range, Zap, let support know, they can push BT.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I'll ring them tomorrow Rik, I did ring about it last week but they couldn't see any obvious problems and suggested a router reboot as it had been up for a month or more.

I'm starting to get some more bandwidth back which is what usually happens at this time of day.
zap
--------------------

Rik

It might be better to email them that test result, Zap
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I'll probably hang fire for now because I'm pretty sure it's something outside of IDNet's control. It seems most people in the country are currently suffering low throughput to some degree. It effects me more because I work from home but throughput this evening is back up to nearly three quarters of what it should be.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4762 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
zap
--------------------

Rik

That one would certainly get passed by BT, Zap. There's an article here which might interest you on what ThinkBroaband have found with their independent testing.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jun 23, 2010, 17:31:31
It's not exchange congestion, we have friends living in the same street on Nildram and they don't have these issues.

Although they are in the same exchange, they could be on a different VP. Different VPs have different rates of congestion.
Lance
_____

gazzthompson

Rik

The Plus Net page is often out of date, as is BT's information. Run a series of BT speed tests at different times of the day and let support have the results so they can look into it for you.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

UNfortunately, all this stems from the fact that this ocuntry is trying to run 21st Century technology on 19/20th century wiring and hardware. Nothing will improve greatly until the whole infrastructure is updated to fibre optics and BT no longer run the whole system.  It is an old Post Office company that never updated with the times, just stick in the mud and profit greedy. :rant2:
------
Alf :)

pctech

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Jun 24, 2010, 09:42:32
That one would certainly get passed by BT, Zap. There's an article here which might interest you on what ThinkBroaband have found with their independent testing.

That graph sums up my experience since the world cup started.
zap
--------------------