How slow?

Started by zappaDPJ, Jul 05, 2010, 00:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

We were having a 25 way conversation tonight on a comms server while playing World of Warcraft. As usual most of the UK based players were struggling in-game due to high latency and while we were discussing it, one of our Dutch players happened to mention his connection had been playing up recently. In an effort to try and help him out, he was asked to post his router stats on our forums along with a speed test.

As you can see his connection is dreadful...

So the next time your connection is playing up, spare a thought for the Dutch who are only getting 60 Mb/s on a 100 MB/s connection  ::)
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Thats awful,thank goodness we've got BT :whistle:
Steve
------------

Lance

I don't know how they cope with such dreadful speeds!  :slap:
Lance
_____

pctech

Another example of how BT has under invested in our infrastructure.

Amazing though how you can get 100Meg service if you are a corporate and have deep pockets isn't it http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/internet-access/btnet-premium/

Too expensive to upgrade the network, yeah right.

Mr Booh

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

pctech

You do.

ADSL on 20CN ran on the ATM network that was originally deployed to support leased lines.

So we could have had much faster access instead of being the laughing stock of the world with an average speed of 2 Meg while the rest of the world's governments invested in their infrastructure to deliver 100Meg+ connections to their citizens.

BT should never have been sold off and should have been directed throughout the 90s to lay fibre as the Internet took off instead of being sold to greedy shareholders.

esh

I remember chatting with a Dutch fellow about 12-15 years back playing Quake online and he had a mere 20Mbit back then (for something like £15 a month). Shocking indeed.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Steve

A bit similar to the football sides of the respective countries :dunno:
Steve
------------