Which Idnet subscription should I take?

Started by Chops, Mar 30, 2007, 12:38:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Chops

Hi,

I've just applied for my MAC code from f2s and I'm looking at moving over to Idnet. I rarely download more than 5GB/month and my current connection is around 7M so I was looking at going for the 'Home Lite' package. Am I right in thinking that this is a non contended line, one of the problems I've had with f2s is that at peak times my connection has slowed down considerably, and will a 'Home Lite' connection be shaped or constrained in an way?

Any advice ot tips for migrating would be appreciated.

TIA.

Rik

Hi Chops

Welcome to the forum. :)

You're right that there is no contention within the IDNet network - from the website "IDNet provide high-performance broadband services for home and business users, with excellent reliability, no network contention, no port blocking, no traffic shaping and no bandwidth throttling, enabling super-fast always-on Internet access for a flat monthly fee using your existing telephone line." You might, of course, suffer at BT's hands, but that's it.

Once you've got your MAC you can start the migration online or by phone, 0800 0267 237.

You'll find that you get to talk to a real person, there are no phone queues, no muzak and no script jockeys.

From what you say, the Lite package would be ideal for you, if you do need a bit more bandwidth in any month, the charge is £1/GB. You will receive warning emails if you look likely to go over your allowance, and you can also check on your account page. IDNet do not throttle or in other ways restrict your connection if you go over the package allowance, they simply bill you for the extra.

If there's anything I haven't covered, just yell.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

EDIT: Once again Rik has beaten me to the post...... oh well might as well post it anyway!

Welcome Chops to the forum!

For MAX, it's not a case of it being uncontended, its that BT don't have a set contention rate for it.

It depends on where the congestion was occuring at peak time, as to whether or not you will still get it. I expect that the congestion was occuring within f2s's network, in which case when you move it won't effect you. It is also possible that the congestion is caused at your local exchange, in which case it will stay with you until BT get their finger out. There are various sites on which you can see the current status of your exchange.

None of IDNet's packages are shaped or restricted in any way, with no port blocking either.

Lance
Lance
_____

Rik

Sorry, Lance, I'll try and type more slowly. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

No, no, it's my fault! I should be concentrating on posting rather than the bacon and egg panini I'm enjoying for lunch!  ;)
Lance
_____

Rik

Ah, I was on my pastrami on home-made wholemeal... Yours sounds interesting, though, push it over this way a bit. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

jupiter

Quote from: lance on Mar 30, 2007, 12:58:54
No, no, it's my fault! I should be concentrating on posting rather than the bacon and egg panini I'm enjoying for lunch!  ;)

Don't worry lance.  Bits of the panini came through with your post and it was delicious.

Now that's what I call a high quality network!

Lance

Quote from: rikbean on Mar 30, 2007, 14:27:38
Just like my hair and youth. :)

Quote from: jupiter on Mar 30, 2007, 17:20:19
Don't worry lance.  Bits of the panini came through with your post and it was delicious.

Now that's what I call a high quality network!

lol @ both of you! :D
Lance
_____

Chops

Thanks for the info guys you've covered everything I wanted to know. My MAC code should be emailed to me any time now and as soon as I get it I'll get my account setup.

See you on the forums!

Rik

Rik
--------------------