Noise

Started by cyprio42, Aug 27, 2010, 21:47:05

Previous topic - Next topic

cyprio42

Hi
what causes this. I have the router connected into the master socket, with just a phone in the filter. There is alot of difference in the day. Just trying to be sure that when the BT engineer comes next week I have covered all my options.

Rik

Electrical appliances switching on and off, things like treadmills are particularly bad, industrial plant along the route of your line, possibly even a radio ham, but that's very unlikely. A bad Sky box can take a whole street down, so don't rule that out.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cyprio42

Cheers Rik
do you think this warrants a BT engineer check and that there is anything they can do to fix it.

Rik

I suspect that they won't do anything to fix it unless they can see it when they plug their laptop in. Intermittent noise is difficult to tie down.
Rik
--------------------

cyprio42

Cheers Rik
I am using my brothers Netgear DG834G v3 router. Its had little use but I am thinking about buying a non Netgear router, possibly this one LINKSYS WAG120N Wireless-N ADSL Router. Maybe this would cope with the noise levels better and perhaps not lose the connection.

Glenn

Don't rule out a 2wire 2700 on longer lines.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

The v3 Netgear is quite old now, technologically speaking, so a change might serve you well.
Rik
--------------------

cyprio42

hi
I am now using the Linksys Wag 120N router. Thing isyou cannot monitor line stats with this router so I cant see if I have any disconnections. Can I see this anywhere on the idnet page or will they send my my stats.
cheers

Glenn

This is for the Wag 160n, but I would think it should work on the 120n

Some users have had problems getting line stats from this router, but we believe the following should work.

http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?next_file=adsl_driver.htm

The router may need putting in debug mode first.

http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Glenn
--------------------

cyprio42

cheers Glen
tried that and it just displays 0 in all the columns.

Steve

I can find lots of posts on the net of people unable to get stats from this router which makes it very difficult when you've got connection issues. Obviously you can get some details from IDNet as they will be able to get them from the BT monitoring software i.e sync rate, re sync rates and connected margin but that's going to be a pain if its a frequent occurrence and you wish to change things at your end.
Steve
------------

cyprio42

cheers Steve
its going back in the morning anyway, awful wireless signal, not as good as my old Netgear. Might try the NETGEAR DGN2000 Wireless ADSL Router.

Steve

I think the DGN2000 has had a mixed response, the BT2700 HGV is well favoured on long lines plus it's cheap. We've  got a few Draytek users around too i.e Vigor 2710N. It may well be that a re profile back to adslmax will get you stable again.
Steve
------------

cyprio42

hi
BT Enginner just been, new cable from pole and new NTE box. Did away with 2 junction boxes so thats an improvement in itself. Hopefully this could be the end of my disconnections. :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------