50% Sync Rate Drop

Started by netgem21, Jul 13, 2010, 15:02:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

I might be able to lend a router...
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Quote from: netgem21 on Jul 18, 2010, 22:52:36
I had to make three separate calls, and I still haven't received a definitive answer. First call, I was told that there were no line faults and was instructed to reboot the router, and the call ended. Second call, I was told to reboot it again and try a different microfilter. Third call, I was basically told that it was a problem at their end and therefore they couldn't help me.

I understand you've been asked to carry out some diagnostics, ie different filter, different router and connect to the test socket. Without these being done, there's little IDNet can do to help you except get a BT engineer out, which carries a very real risk of a £160+ charge if no fault is found. Your line has a 6db noise margin and interleaving off, so there are no 'switches to throw' that will allow IDNet to improve the speed.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 09:48:46
I understand you've been asked to carry out some diagnostics, ie different filter, different router and connect to the test socket. Without these being done, there's little IDNet can do to help you except get a BT engineer out, which carries a very real risk of a £160+ charge if no fault is found. Your line has a 6db noise margin and interleaving off, so there are no 'switches to throw' that will allow IDNet to improve the speed.

I've done all the diagnostics you've mentioned apart from testing another router, as I don't have one, however I don't suspect it's the problem, as this drop in sync happened instantly, and no other problems with the router are apparent. Can you tell me what my noise margin means? Are the statistics good? Also, support have just informed me that there are 'upstream errors on my circuit'. Also, as I said earlier, could the Leeds outage be the cause of this? Cheers  ;D

netgem21

Here are some later results performed. First image is via the normal socket, second is via the test socket.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

Well, the test socket is giving slightly better results, which suggests there's room for improvement in your internal wiring. The error count on the upstream side will slow upstream traffic, but should have too much effect otherwise.

Routers fail, I've had a couple go in the past two years - router power supplies also fail. Unless you eliminate the router from the equation, the only option IDNet would have is to send a BT engineer out with the strong chance that you will be billed. The Leeds outage should not be the cause of your problem. If you run a BT speed test, then you will get an acceptable range of speeds for your connection. If your current speeds are within that range, BT will claim the line is working in spec.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 15:09:10
Well, the test socket is giving slightly better results, which suggests there's room for improvement in your internal wiring. The error count on the upstream side will slow upstream traffic, but should have too much effect otherwise.

Routers fail, I've had a couple go in the past two years - router power supplies also fail. Unless you eliminate the router from the equation, the only option IDNet would have is to send a BT engineer out with the strong chance that you will be billed. The Leeds outage should not be the cause of your problem. If you run a BT speed test, then you will get an acceptable range of speeds for your connection. If your current speeds are within that range, BT will claim the line is working in spec.

Well 2mbps is not an acceptable speed for my connection. In addition, my upstream speed has not been affected, only downstream.

Rik

You can say that, but if BT decide it's acceptable, it is acceptable. Do a BT test and post the results here.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 16:29:07
You can say that, but if BT decide it's acceptable, it is acceptable. Do a BT test and post the results here.

I'm sorry, but I rely on my broadband speed heavily, and if it takes me 4x longer to do the things that I need to do, then it is by definition, unacceptable. Maybe it's acceptable for BT, but it isn't for me. I just ran a BT Speed Test and got this message: "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

To reiterate, here's my most recent Speed test that I performed just now. Please compare with the result in my signature representing my average speed.

Rik

We can't help you any further. To do so, we would need a BT speed test, which tells us more about your connection than any other test site, and we need you to try a different router to eliminate the possibility that the fault lays there. All I can suggest is that you ask IDNet to get a BT engineer out, accepting that it may cost your £160+ if it turns out to be a 'no fault found' visit.

I know it's frustrating to lose speed, I was running at 1/3rd of normal at the beginning of the year, and for 10 days had no connection at all as BT were adamant that all was well even though I didn't have a router connected to the line. Eventually they found the line card was faulty. I moved to my backup line, so it wasn't a disaster, maybe you could consider a second line if your service is that critical to you?
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 16:44:45
We can't help you any further. To do so, we would need a BT speed test, which tells us more about your connection than any other test site, and we need you to try a different router to eliminate the possibility that the fault lays there. All I can suggest is that you ask IDNet to get a BT engineer out, accepting that it may cost your £160+ if it turns out to be a 'no fault found' visit.

I know it's frustrating to lose speed, I was running at 1/3rd of normal at the beginning of the year, and for 10 days had no connection at all as BT were adamant that all was well even though I didn't have a router connected to the line. Eventually they found the line card was faulty. I moved to my backup line, so it wasn't a disaster, maybe you could consider a second line if your service is that critical to you?

Thanks Rik, I'll keep trying the BT Test, and for the record, this is a second line!  :D

Rik

Does the second line have BB on it?
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 16:58:19
Does the second line have BB on it?

First line is for voice, second line is for data.

Rik

So no way of switching lines to test, that's a shame. :(
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 17:20:29
So no way of switching lines to test, that's a shame. :(

Yeah, I don't think I can unless I activate the other line for ADSL which is about £40. Are there any line quality tests I can perform, that you can think of?

netgem21

OK, this is getting strange now. BT Availability Checker say that the maximum estimated speed of my line is 2.5Mbit - i.e. what I'm getting. I was getting 8Mbit last week. What the hell has happened?!

netgem21

Here are the results of the BT Speed Test. I don't like the look of the line profile...

Rik

Quote from: netgem21 on Jul 19, 2010, 17:42:18
OK, this is getting strange now. BT Availability Checker say that the maximum estimated speed of my line is 2.5Mbit - i.e. what I'm getting. I was getting 8Mbit last week. What the hell has happened?!

Sounds like it's responding to the lower sync speed. We really do need a BT speed test and an alternative router, your upstream error count could be explained by a dodgy router.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 17:45:06
Sounds like it's responding to the lower sync speed. We really do need a BT speed test and an alternative router, your upstream error count could be explained by a dodgy router.

Results just came through:

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 17:45:06

Here's the availability checker for my other line, which looks great. I should add that both of these lines are in the same house and connected to the same exchange.

Glenn

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jul 19, 2010, 08:38:10

That's a very kind offer Ben.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: netgem21 on Jul 19, 2010, 17:47:04
Results just came through:

Mmm. The profile is 500k slow for the sync speed, but that's the least of your troubles. BT consider 600kbps acceptable on the line. All you can do now is try a different router, an engineer visit would result in a charge. :(

Do you have any LLU operators in your exchange?
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: netgem21 on Jul 19, 2010, 17:48:29
Here's the availability checker for my other line, which looks great. I should add that both of these lines are in the same house and connected to the same exchange.

Trouble is, it means nothing - it's an estimate. It's possible, though, that the line takes a different route to the exchange or is on a better pair.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jul 19, 2010, 17:51:07
Mmm. The profile is 500k slow for the sync speed, but that's the least of your troubles. BT consider 600kbps acceptable on the line. All you can do now is try a different router, an engineer visit would result in a charge. :(

Do you have any LLU operators in your exchange?

OK, I guess I'll have to buy a router then  :mad:

So, just to check, even if they find an exchange fault like a faulty line card or something, even though I'm receiving an 'acceptable speed', they're still going to charge me?!

No for LLU, I live in the middle of nowhere - we only got ADSLMax recently, but it's usually very fast!

Thanks again everyone!  ;D

netgem21

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jul 19, 2010, 08:38:10

Thank you for your very kind offer Ben, it's much appreciated, but please don't worry about it - I don't want to trouble anyone else with this!!  ;D

Rik

If they find a fault on their side of the test socket, eg a line card, there will be no charge. If, otoh, the engineer turns up, syncs at an acceptable speed and can't see a fault, there will. BT have us both ways. :(
Rik
--------------------