WHAT THE H*LL?????

Started by AvengerUK, Mar 31, 2007, 14:20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

AvengerUK

Nah, doesent work with my ZyXel :(

I dont think router stats will work via telnet, either?

Lance

As far as I know, it will only work via HTTP, because thats how it picks up its figures. Does the ZyXel not dispplay its stats using a webpage?
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

There's a Telnet option in it Avenger, but it's specifically for Netgears. :(

Would the DMT tool work with it? You can get that here, and there's some instructions here. I understand the program switches to English after it's detected the router and shutdown. It is targetted at Speedtouch, so I'm not sure how it will work for you, if at all.
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

Yes my zyxel does use HTML to display the stats, but there is no direct link to it. It uses a embedded button to display the stats in a Iframe, making it impossible to find a link to it at all!

telnet with my router tends to be "easier" but, as you say Router Stats was designed for netgear :/

ras> wan adsl linedata near

noise margin downstream: 5 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 59 db

From the way it would seem to work, i think my Safecom routers would work - but thats too much hassle! (ports etc)

Rik

What sync speed goes with those figures?
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

2200kb/s - which is "bad" - it was 2800 odd with similar figures last week!

Ive just had an idea about logging SNR. Im going to build a simple "bat" file, to log into the telnet, extract the figures and save them --> a challenge i like ;)

Rik

Not brilliant figures, but still about twice what you'd get from a fixed-rate connection. Good luck with the BAT file, they still have their place in our GUI-driven world. :)
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

BAT Files almost done, but - im finally back to normalility - downloading at 176kb/s :)

AvengerUK

Annnd its happened again...

Back to fixed i go!

(and it cant come soon enough...)

Rik

You don't seem to have had much luck, Avenger. :( Sorry.
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

;) - Luck has no place in my "abode"!

Rik

Were I in your shoes, I would go for the reliable fixed-rate over speed too. :( Let's hope that technology triumphs and you don't need any luck...
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

Just back from my hols ;)

@ 2mb and working great :)

Rik

Glad to hear it. I had a burst of noise knock my sync down to 1400 on Friday, and I've been stuck with a 2000 profile since (no, I don't understand either!). BT seem to be doing something, because my noise margin is all over the place for the past month, whereat is was reasonably stable from initial activation until mid-March. :(
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

It disconnects occasionally though :( (reconnects very quickly) - only on occasions...im sure its my router. Line stats are usually fine - my routers had problems for ages (sure ive mentioned it) - just woundering, do you "all" still recommend that netgear? (the wired one i think it was).

What are the firewall/port forwarding/nat like?

Rik

Quote from: AvengerUK on Apr 17, 2007, 11:24:53
do you "all" still recommend that netgear? (the wired one i think it was).

What are the firewall/port forwarding/nat like?

I try not to recommend any router when it comes to Max, Avenger, everyone has different experiences. The two most commonly used brands seem to be the Netgear and Speedtouch. I've seen good reports of Zyxel and D-Link, but more bad than good reports on Billion.

When I was on fixed rate, I ran a Draytek Vigor 2600+, which was excellent, if way over the top for my needs. When I moved to Max, it didn't handle the line well and I picked up a DG834v2, this worked a charm. I'm now on a DG834G v3, because I wanted to add wireless for the laptop.

NAT/SPI is fine, but I don't game so I've never needed to port forward so can't comment on that. It's worth noting that IDNet supply Netgears, so they must be reasonably confident in them (it also means they will be able to give full advice on their use...).
Rik
--------------------

AvengerUK

FYI - Im fixed rate now :)

Im taking a look at the netgear now (again!) - should also of said that the firewall needs to be a SPI - that tends to mean that 99% of the time, i dont need to port forward :)

Rik

I know you're fixed-rate again, Avenger, I was just having a little meander. :)

Netgears do have SPI firewalls. You can download the manual for the DG834G from here, and for the DG834v2 from here.

HTH
Rik
--------------------