Spotify: UK broadband not yet capable of supporting lossless audio

Started by pctech, Jul 24, 2010, 19:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

That's a shame however unless the musicplayer is of HiFi quality it's a waste of bandwidth
Steve
------------

pctech

Or unless like me you have you have a sound card geared towards music and Harman/Kardon speakers  ;D

Technical Ben

Define lossless? As my hypothetical guitar plays analogue sounds. These have infinite fidelity, and take up infinite MB to store.  :slap:
PS, also CDs are not lossless.  ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

I guess they're talking about WAV, FLAC, SHN, etc, as opposed to MP3s.
Simon.
--

Steve

It's only lossless against a 16/44.1 CD. I have the odd 24/96 flac file which I can play through my CA DacMagic. Yes it sounds good but can I tell the difference between that and 16/44 possibly not. BTW the limit on most USB DACs is 16/44-48 to get the higher resolutions you need S/PDIF
Steve
------------

esh

Didn't Sony try some kind of format that sampled at 2.8MHz with 120dB dynamic range? That's pretty much lossless I'd say. Not that I've ever seen any music I'd want in said format, or even have a player for it.

I know I can hear higher than 20kHz, to somewhere around 22-23. But more importantly I can tell between a 128Kbit and 192Kbit MP3. More than that... I don't think so, unless the encoder is really bad.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

I can think of a lot of classical music which would benefit from such a high sampling rate, but not much else. Plus, my ears are getting older.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

esh

CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Glenn

Quote from: Rik on Jul 26, 2010, 16:20:57
I can think of a lot of classical music which would benefit from such a high sampling rate, but not much else. Plus, my ears are getting older.  :'(
Quote from: esh on Jul 26, 2010, 16:23:42
Buy some new ones. Digital ones.

You can buy digital ears?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

gizmo71

SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Fox

...as long as you can still chew your own steak at dinner Rik, I think you will manage just fine
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them

Rik

Rik
--------------------