backup in Ubuntu

Started by DarkStar, Aug 15, 2010, 20:02:37

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkStar

I have had Windows crash again and cannot get by backup program (Macrium) to complete a restore and so am typing this using a Ubuntu 9.10 CD. Have not installed the program - yet - but am quite getting to like it.
However, I have a problem I need help with. I was going to reinstall Windows originally but may loose some stuff that I hadn't had time to back up if I do. I have managed to find the My Documents folder in Ubuntu and want to copy the contents to a USB stick. I have inserted the USB stick and it is showing in the 'menu' on the left where Explorer would show in Windows.
Problem is how do I copy it over. Remember I am a dire novice with Ubuntu. Do I need to actually install Ubuntu to be able to do this? Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Ian

MisterW

go to the 'Places' menu, select the USB drive and open a File Explorer window.
Then go to the 'Places' menu again and open another window and browse to your My Documents folder
Then just select , Copy from the My Docs window and Paste into the USB Drive window , just like you'd do in windows :)
Simples ::)

D-Dan

To put it more succinctly - drag and drop just works

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

MisterW

I was tempted to say that but I thought I'd be kind since
QuoteRemember I am a dire novice with Ubuntu
;D

DarkStar

So many thanks, I have managed to get 90 files over and checked that they are all on the stick.
Was so surprised how simple it was  :thumb:
I wasn't able to simply drag/paste the complete 'My Docs' folder over as there was a tmp file somewhere that couldn't be located so had to do them one at a time.
One more question. A lot of the web pages don't fit on the screen, the right side disappears off the screen so that I cannot see the scroll bar and the left side of the Ubuntu window is just a little way away from the edge so that there is a black band down the side. Some pages are far too big. Easily solvable?
I had problems earlier trying to log into Googlemail, realised that I was using an American keyboard but have set that up now  :thumb:
Ian

trophymick

You need to adjust your monitor, sideways. :thumb:
Mick