Skinny network cable

Started by klipp, Aug 16, 2010, 20:27:28

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Hellooooooo. :)

OK so I have a bit of a problem.  I need to connect a computer (wired) to my router which is in a different room.  Wireless is out of the question because I need a rock solid connection on this particular computer.  All the network cable in PC World/Currys is quite fat and unsightly.  Are all network cables a standard diameter?

pctech

Yes Ethernet Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) is a standard diameter so there's no such thing as skinny network cable.

pctech

I did not know such things existed.

You learn something new every day.

Steve

I've got a couple of those flat cables somewhere they came with a Buffalo NAS and they did seem to work ok.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

trophymick

Home plugs solved the problem for me, no unsightly wires running round the house, and if I want to move the computer I just move the home plug with it, to any room in the house (or my shed,garage). :thumb:
Downside is they are a lot more expensive than RJ45 cable, but (IMHO) worth it.
Mick

klipp

Hi Mick.  Do you have any links for homeplugs?  Does it work across different electrical rings? eg. my Electricity mains box has 2 socket rings.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Look here http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-intro.htm. I use them extensively at home unfortunately just returned from holiday to find 2 of my Zxyel PLA 401 have given up the ghost. I've just ordered 2 of the Gb ones from Solwise as a replacement. They are not a substitute for ethernet cable in terms of performance otherwise they are pretty trouble free.
Steve
------------

JB

Quote from: Steve on Aug 16, 2010, 20:54:19
I've got a couple of those flat cables somewhere they came with a Buffalo NAS and they did seem to work ok.
Yes, flat ethernet cable is excellent. Goes under the edge of carpets and under doors easily. Certainly, in 20m lengths seems to work as well as round cable. I'm only running mine at 100M though.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Niall

I had a normal network cable, and when we had laminated flooring put in, in the back room, the plonker fitting it put it over my network cable so that's stuck there for eternity now!
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

I wish I'd done the same at least it's hidden then.
Steve
------------

wecpcs

Quote from: klipp on Aug 16, 2010, 20:44:11
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLAT-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B0017Z0QUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281987452&sr=8-2

This looks promising.  The wires are in a row.  Might be worth a punt...

I use a similar 20mt one which is a CAT6 and runs from my Netgear DGND3300 in my PC room to my Netgear EVA8000 Media streamer in the lounge. I run it under the carpet across the hall and then around the skirting board under the carpet in the lounge. It has been in use for several years with no problems at all.

Colin

klipp

Thanks for the information and advice guys.  For the sheer fact that the flat cable is cheap (£5) for 10 meters, and a direct wired connection provides the most stable connection, I think I'll go for this option.  Although I must admit those homeplugs are fascinating.

Steve

My pair of 1Gb home plugs arrived from Solwise this morning I am looking forward to see how they perform.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Niall

Quote from: Rik on Aug 17, 2010, 10:35:57
Does it still work?

Yeah it's fine but it means I can't pull it back through now!
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Niall

Home networking built in via flooring. The other 12ft is curled up in the bedroom :D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

klipp

Well my flat cable arrived today and wow, it really is flat!!!  There's a small gap between the carpet and the bottom of the skirting board which the cable very snuggly slotted into.  I would recommend this product to anyone who wants a wired connection but is worried about the Mrs moaning about unsightly cables. ;D

pctech

Hmmm might be a solution for linking my xbox.

Steve

Quote from: Steve on Aug 17, 2010, 14:32:05
My pair of 1Gb home plugs arrived from Solwise this morning I am looking forward to see how they perform.

I think RMA may be my only option very laggy performance. Max throughput on LAN file transfer was 8MB/sec. I suspect my  setup is not ideal there may be some local interference causing an issue.They did seem ok for a day or so.
Steve
------------