imap or pop3?

Started by trophymick, Aug 18, 2010, 13:24:53

Previous topic - Next topic

trophymick

I have set up email addresses on Thunderbird (Linux Mint) and the server names are set as imap, but on windows (XP SP3) Outlook Express they are set as pop3.
Is there a reason for this and does it make any difference?
This Minty Linux is a new learning curve for me, but so far I am very impressed. :thumb:

Just googled (well 'Blackled' actually) and it came up with this explanation, imap keeps the email on the server (I presume Idnet's) and pop3 downloads it to my computer, have I sussed it? :dunno:
Anyhow I have changed the settings in Thunderbird to pop3, and all seems well. :thumb:
Mick

Rik

IMAP acts as a central library of mail, Mick, allowing you to access the same mail from multiple computers. The mail remains on IDNet's servers until you delete it. POP, otoh, removes the mail from IDNet's servers when the first machine 'reads' it.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Aug 18, 2010, 14:44:30POP, otoh, removes the mail from IDNet's servers when the first machine 'reads' it.

Or later, or not, depending how you've set it up :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Aug 18, 2010, 14:50:03
Pedant. :)

;D

I have accounts on the laptops set to "Leave on server", so that I can pick up mail later on the main machine and it's all in one place.

That one leaves it there for week (mostly, and in case of accident).
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Same here. I also BCC any replies I make to myself, so that I have copies on the 'central repository'.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

trophymick

Thanks gentlemen. :thumb:
So, not having a laptop, am I correct in using pop3 to download straight to my desktop computer?
I can't see myself getting a laptop any time soon, but if I did, imap would be the way to go?
Mick

Rik

I'd use POP3 in your situation, Mick. Even with a laptop, I use POP3 but select the 'leave copy on server' on the lappy. I find IMAP clunky.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

If you get emails delivered to your phone, like I do, then it seems better to use IMAP for the phone set up, and have POP3 delivery on your home computer, to retrieve the emails from the server.  That's what I do, anyway.
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

trophymick

Another thing I have just done (I'm sure something will break soon :eek4:) is switch to OpenDNS (using Linux Mint), what a difference it makes to the speed of connection. :thumb:

I use OpenDNS on windows, and the difference is negligible. 
Mick

Rik

I can't explain why that should be, Mick, unless you have the DNS set in Windows, but collecting from the router in Linux.
Rik
--------------------

trophymick

Rik, I noticed a real lag 'resolving the host' before switching to OpenDNS, it now flies in comparison. :thumb:
Mick

Rik

I've got no explanation, neither has support, Mick.
Rik
--------------------

trophymick

Oh well, as long as it works I'll use it. I must stop messing now, I've pushed my luck far enough. :fingers: :whistle:
Mick

Rik

The only thing I can think of is that Windows isn't getting DNS from the router, Linux is, and there's something wrong in that setup. :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

The latest version of Thunderbird has had yet another unhelpful "feature" added.  If you set up an email account whilst connected to the internet, Thunderbird helpfully goes to the email server you specify and configures itself, unfortunately most mail servers offer IMAP first and so Thunderbird sets IMAP as  the only email protocol and it is a nightmare changing it to POP3.

I delete the IMAP accounts in Thunderbird, disconnect from the internet and then manually set up my pop3 email accounts.

This is just one of the many new and unwanted features being added to Thunderbird and is making it less and less useful.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Steve

I don't mind auto configuration as I'm used to that with Apple OS's but at least they give you the choice of IMAP or POP3.
Steve
------------