Rival slams BT's "laughable" fibre proposition

Started by Simon, Aug 19, 2010, 15:17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

The boss of a rival fibre provider has slammed BT over its the definition and delivery of its high-speed broadband.

Piers Daniell, managing director of Fluidata, accused the telco of deliberately capping its services and muddying the water with vague advertising.

He said BT's fibre options – both the fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) service currently being rolled out and the fibre to the home (FTTH) expected to launch next year – are a laughing stock among business fibre providers.

Daniell believes that neither BT nor Virgin should be calling their services fibre, because both rely on older technologies to deliver from the cabinet to the end user.

"We tend to look at this from the business side of the market and we are laughing at them, because they keep calling it fibre, but how it's actually delivered has not changed," he told PC Pro.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/360433/rival-slams-bts-laughable-fibre-proposition
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

We'd laugh too, but it's not funny for us.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

I am glad BT don't own Tesco. Else they'd be selling "Beef pies" with rat in place of beef, and paper bags in place of pie. Well, they are creative in their naming strategies. "unlimited" anyone?  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

BT must have bough Telfers at some point then, Ben. :)
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

I've had one or two sandwiches from there!  :eek4:
I generally buy my own, or have cooked goodies now a days. At least if it's cooked, the things cannot crawl out to bite you.  :whistle:
I can only speak from experience, that when I worked in a small takeaway, it was spotless. However, you do hear a lot of stories and see reports and videos of some horrors.

Rik

Telfers, back in the 60s, were reputed not to clean their pie machines before the weekend. When they started the line on a Monday, the rats could be heard squealing. Of course, it was apocryphal, but it did make you look before you bit. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Aug 19, 2010, 16:26:17
I am glad BT don't own Tesco. Else they'd be selling "Beef pies" with rat in place of beef, and paper bags in place of pie. Well, they are creative in their naming strategies. "unlimited" anyone?  :whistle:
Who says its not rat :evil:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

Quote from: Simon on Aug 19, 2010, 15:17:19
The boss of a rival fibre provider has slammed BT over its the definition and delivery of its high-speed broadband.

Piers Daniell, managing director of Fluidata, accused the telco of deliberately capping its services and muddying the water with vague advertising.

He said BT's fibre options – both the fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) service currently being rolled out and the fibre to the home (FTTH) expected to launch next year – are a laughing stock among business fibre providers.

Daniell believes that neither BT nor Virgin should be calling their services fibre, because both rely on older technologies to deliver from the cabinet to the end user.

wouldnt that be the point of it being fibre to the cabinet

or have i completly lost my marbles

again :whistle:

zappaDPJ

The same thing struck me when I read it but I thought I'd keep it too myself for the same reason  :laugh:
zap
--------------------

Technical Ben