LLU?

Started by cyprio42, Aug 19, 2010, 20:08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

cyprio42

hi
is LLU the same as ADSL2+. Just has Sky on the blower telling me that my exchange is LLU enabled now and its cheaper and better. Thing is the speed is the same as what I get know with Idnet, so maybe I am already on LLU?
ta

klipp

LLU can be ADSL2+, depending on your exchange's capabilities.  There are many pros and cons between LLU and WBC, which can be googled.  The main pro with LLU, I think most would agree is that you're not at the mercy of WBC's IP profiling.

Bill

Quote from: cyprio42 on Aug 19, 2010, 20:08:10
is LLU the same as ADSL2+.

No.

If the bit of wire from your house to the exchange is connected to equipment that belongs to anyone other that BT, then it's LLU (Local Loop Unbundling). That equipment then connects directly to the ISP's network.

ASDL, ADSL2 etc refer to the standards (mainly speed) that the equipment uses, and an LLU connection often (but not always) uses later kit than BT does. As Klipp says, the big advantage is that it gets you away from BT's blasted DLM, the downside is that installing the kit takes a lot of money so it's generally only available from the big boys, who aren't always noted for the quality of their service.

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6