Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick is out soon so.........

Started by vitriol, Oct 05, 2010, 19:59:19

Previous topic - Next topic

vitriol

Are you going to updrage your current distro or will you be installing a fresh version?  Are you going to grab it straight away or wait a couple of days?

Think I'll go the fresh route, last upgrade from Karmic to Lucid didn't go too well.

kinmel

The server will stay on 10.04 since that is an LTS version and the netbook will get a clean install of 10.10, after all that is non critical.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

esh

The only Ubuntu machine I have is a laptop which is still running 6.04...
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

vitriol

Downloaded and installed afresh.  Took 13 minutes from start of install to finish.  Spent 20 minutes installing a few things. VLC, compiz, Ubuntu Restricted extras, ffmpeg and job's a good un. :)

Lovely new font I must say and the new sound menu is mint.

Install was completely flawless. Unlike Lucid.

DarkStar

Downloaded it yesterday as soon as it went up, booted from the CD and played with it for the rest of the day. Very nice, played a couple of my home video's I loaded on it and had a go on You Tube. Worked flawlessly. Debating now about whether to give Windows 7 the order of the boot and replace it with this.
Any more grief with Windows  :mad: and it goes.
Also had a play with the Kubuntu RC on Friday, some lovely wallpapers in the 10.10 version. I'm really starting to wonder why I had Windows installed on my new machine  :dunno:
Ian

kinmel

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook is now installed on my Aspire 1 8Gb SSD and all the hardware worked with no additional drivers from me.

Brilliant  :thumb:
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

atsw

Got v10.10 on both a Desktop (Core2Quad) and my Samsung Netbook (N280, 2Gb RAM).

Desktop was previously on v10.04.  The upgrade to v10.10 went v badly, something got meshed up with GRUB and I was in a no-boot situation after install.  Not a problem, Ubuntu was just one of three OS's on that machine (Vista 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit being the other two).  So reset the mbr using my Win7 DVD, booted into Windows 7, scrubbed the F: drive where Ubuntu v10.04 was and re-installed Ubuntu v10.10 as a clean install.  All OK second time around, although I do now see two "modprobe [fatal] module not found" errors at start-up, but neither seems to impact the OS, so I now ignore them (they are slightly annoying though, I like to see a clean start-up). 

The Netbook edition on the Samsung is a dream.  Very quick startup, all apps respond in a timely fashion.  Noticeably faster than Windows 7 Starter, the original OS, which it can dual boot with.  Did have to use the NDIS wrapper for the Windows Wifi Drivers to get reliable connection at start-up.  The default Linux drivers would only connect to the AP 50% of the time, it's 100% OK now though.

I've Installed Google Chrome as the default browser on both machines (I just don't like the Mozilla browser any more) and also VLC for all media.  The Skype (beta) for Linux seems pretty good, camera and sound all fine.

Andrew

Steve

:welc: :karma:  Andrew

It's welcoming to see a good OS for these small powered machines. I do recall when I had a netbook I swapped out the mini wifi card so I could run Ubuntu 8.10 reliably via wifi.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

atsw

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, much appreciated :blush:.

Andrew

Ray

Ray
--------------------