Router Recommendations

Started by captainpud, Aug 24, 2010, 07:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

captainpud

I currently have a Voyager 2110 which has been very stable and reliable in holding my connection, syncing at 8096 and 832. It goes months and months without dropping. I am having a few problems with my download speeds at the moment, down to 2 or 3MB from a constant 6MB and support have stated there is no problem at BT's end. I have swapped everything but my router and I am being told by support that swapping my modem/router is all I can do now.

So I need suggestions for a fast stable modem/router with wireless. I have been reading about a few, netgear etc but they all seem to have one problem or another. Help please :)

DorsetBoy

DrayTek are excellent, otherwise a Speedtouch 585 would do the job very well.

Ray

Having just changed to a Draytek, I would agree with Dorset.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Are we talking 2710 or something more business like?
Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

esh

I recommend.... *not* Netgear  :)
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

captainpud

So are you all finding the Draytek very stable? are they reasonably easy to set up? Do they have a DMZ feature for my Xbox Live gaming?

I had already worked out how rubbish the new Netgear stuff is  >:D

Thank you for all the replies :)

DorsetBoy

Draytek are fully configurable and mine ( Vigor 2820 ) has been consistently stable ,   http://www.draytek.co.uk/   is the UK site and  http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/ is the UK support forum.

Lona

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

pctech

The DG834G v4 (which uses the Broadcom chip and I have) has always received excellent reviews but sadly they are no longer produced and the v5 is not supposed to be as good though cant comment as never used one.

Speedtouch are used by a lot of ISPs but not used one of the routers but used to have the USB modem which seemed to do the job ok.

Steer clear of Zyxel as have had one of their one port routers and it ran so hot you could fry an egg on it and it was very unstable, probably because it was cooking its insides.

Tacitus

Quote from: pctech on Aug 24, 2010, 23:13:24
Steer clear of Zyxel as have had one of their one port routers and it ran so hot you could fry an egg on it and it was very unstable, probably because it was cooking its insides.

FWIW I've had several Zyxel routers pass through my hands both for myself and others.  I've not had a problem with any of them, ranging from a couple of single port 660s, via the 661H/662H range.  Most use the AR7 and tend to sync a little lower than others, but all have been very stable.

klipp

I just ordered a DrayTek Vigor 2710n which has PC Advisor Gold Award.  It should be arriving in the post tomorrow or the day after.

Info here: http://www.draytek.com/user/PdInfoDetail.php?Id=82

It is kinda pricey though, but hopefully worth it.  I'll post a review here if you want in a week or so.

Now, the easy part.  What I DON'T recommend.  Keep clear of anything that has the Belkin logo on it!!!  Also after recent experiences I am reluctant to recommend netgear.

Rik

I agree with you on Belkin, we've seen a lot of failures from them.
Rik
--------------------

klipp

QuoteThe DG834G v4 (which uses the Broadcom chip and I have) has always received excellent reviews but sadly they are no longer produced and the v5 is not supposed to be as good though cant comment as never used one.

My experience with v5 was disasterous.  Actually to be precise, my experience with v5 is currently sat in my green wheelie bin awaiting collection next monday morning. :)

Previously I'd had a v4 which served me faithfully for 2 years before it finally gave up the will to live.

On the assumption that v4's cannot be bought anymore, I would struggle to recommend netgear now.  Shame really...

pctech

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 25, 2010, 07:44:12
FWIW I've had several Zyxel routers pass through my hands both for myself and others.  I've not had a problem with any of them, ranging from a couple of single port 660s, via the 661H/662H range.  Most use the AR7 and tend to sync a little lower than others, but all have been very stable.

The one I had could have been faulty I suppose but the design of it did concern me a little.

I also had a netgear DG834N v1 for a while which I believe was based on the AR7 too and found it a bit unstable and so someone recommended the 834G because it had DMT which did seem to stabilise it a bit.

Steve

The DG834Nv1 was a broadcom chipset and DMT compatible the later firmwares were pretty good for me apart from wireless connection problems on auto.
Steve
------------

pctech

Ah I stand corrected but it lost sync quite a bit which is why I replaced it.

Steve

It was a faster version of the chipset used in the dg834g series can't recall the speed difference,I think by the time they stopped selling it they had finally managed to get some decent firmware and indeed DMT lead the way for the earlier versions. It worked well on my short line and didn't have any issues heat related or otherwise. 
Steve
------------

pctech

I have a very long line and would lose sync often which was a right pain.

Rik

Which is why I like my 2700. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: klipp on Aug 25, 2010, 15:39:25
I just ordered a DrayTek Vigor 2710n which has PC Advisor Gold Award.  It should be arriving in the post tomorrow or the day after.

Info here: http://www.draytek.com/user/PdInfoDetail.php?Id=82

It is kinda pricey though, but hopefully worth it.  I'll post a review here if you want in a week or so.

Now, the easy part.  What I DON'T recommend.  Keep clear of anything that has the Belkin logo on it!!!  Also after recent experiences I am reluctant to recommend netgear.

Good luck with the Draytek, I've been using my 7210n for nearly 3 days, so far it is looking good with no problems at all, seems to be a good well designed router and it certainly runs very cool compared to Netgear and Speedtouch models I've used previously.
Ray
--------------------

klipp

Thanks Ray.  Do you have a long line?  My typical Line Attenuation is 53db, and I know through experience that certain routers do not like the longer lines.

Ray

My line would appear to be fairly short, my loop attenuation is showing as 28db.
Ray
--------------------

esh

Quote from: Lona on Aug 24, 2010, 21:41:44
I love Netgear. ;D

I'm just bitter, don't mind me. I bought a £120 high end Netgear ADSL VPN router and had nightmares with it. Support then told me it wasn't compatible with BT lines. For the record it still doesn't work properly a year after and 6 support cases later.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Lona

I have a Netgear 834PN and it has never let me down.  Had it a few years now.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

captainpud

Quote from: Ray on Aug 25, 2010, 18:54:50
Good luck with the Draytek, I've been using my 7210n for nearly 3 days, so far it is looking good with no problems at all, seems to be a good well designed router and it certainly runs very cool compared to Netgear and Speedtouch models I've used previously.

I may go for the 2710n as everyone seems happy with them. May I ask where you purchased yours from? Also which firmware are you running? Standard or 232201 which it says is for the UK?

Thanks

Paul

Baz

Quote from: Lona on Aug 26, 2010, 03:13:02
I have a Netgear 834PN and it has never let me down.  Had it a few years now.

same here Lona with the same results.its just recently that doubt is creeping in and im wondering if its on the way out.lots of advice for replacements but I just cant make my mind up.

i guess its like most electrical items, a lot of it comes down to luck with what you get.

Ray

Quote from: captainpud on Aug 26, 2010, 05:12:52
I may go for the 2710n as everyone seems happy with them. May I ask where you purchased yours from? Also which firmware are you running? Standard or 232201 which it says is for the UK?

Thanks

Paul

I purchased mine from Dabs.com, Paul, below are the firmware details from the router: -

Model Name    : Vigor2710n
Firmware Version    : 3.3.5_232201
Build Date/Time    : May 27 2010 13:22:53
ADSL Firmware Version    : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A
Ray
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Ray on Aug 26, 2010, 08:19:26
I purchased mine from Dabs.com, Paul, below are the firmware details from the router: -

Thank you :)

Did it come with this firmware or did you have to update it?

Ray

Quote from: captainpud on Aug 26, 2010, 13:09:08
Thank you :)

Did it come with this firmware or did you have to update it?

This is the firmware it's supplied with.
Ray
--------------------

klipp

Quote from: Ray on Aug 26, 2010, 08:19:26

Mine has arrived. ;D  I got mine from Amazon, it took 4 days in all to arrive from the time of placing my order.  My details are as per Ray's.  The user manual seems to be written in ye olde english LOL, but it's understandable and I was able to get my internet up and running including setting up wireless security in under 10 minutes.

One thing I don't understand is the QoS LED is illuminated.  I have no idea what it is for, or whether I need it.  Any ideas Ray?

Ray

I haven't figured that out yet, I've found this page on the Draytek support site that explains it, but I haven't found anything in the router setup pages that refers to QoS though.
Ray
--------------------

klipp

Seems like it can't be switched off unless you install a beta firmware.  Think I'll leave it as it is to be honest, it doesn't seem to be causing me any problems.

Edit:

qos setup -m 0

Type that into telnet to disable QoS. :)

Ray

Thanks, I've disabled it on mine now, not that I'd noticed any difference either. :)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Well, there's one less LED lit for a start. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Now when you speak to Draytek support, and they ask what coulour the QoS LED is, don't forget you disabled it.  :evil:
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Aug 26, 2010, 16:03:57
Well, there's one less LED lit for a start. ;D

:nana: :nana: ;D
and seeing as the router is in my bedroom I'll be able to get to sleep better now.  ;D

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 26, 2010, 16:07:40
Now when you speak to Draytek support, and they ask what coulour the QoS LED is, don't forget you disabled it.  :evil:

:buttkick: ;D
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Ray on Aug 26, 2010, 16:17:56
:nana: :nana: ;D
and seeing as the router is in my bedroom I'll be able to get to sleep better now.  ;D

I think that's taking keeping an eye on things a step too far, Ray. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Aug 26, 2010, 16:24:58
I think that's taking keeping an eye on things a step too far, Ray. ;)

;D
It's only because my master telephone socket is there, Rik. :)
Ray
--------------------

Steve

QoS stands for quality of sleep, I learn something every day. :thumb:
Steve
------------

Ray

Quote from: Steve on Aug 26, 2010, 16:34:29

Right, perhaps I shouldn't have disabled it then, Steve, ;D
Ray
--------------------

Rik

;D

Anyone know how to turn it back on?
Rik
--------------------

klipp

Quote from: Steve on Aug 26, 2010, 16:34:29

LOL :laugh:

Ray

I've just done a speed test and noticed my upstream speed has increased by around 80Kbps since I disabled QoS on the router.
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Three more at 8 hour intervals, Ray. ;)
Rik
--------------------

klipp

Quote from: Ray on Aug 26, 2010, 17:05:26
I've just done a speed test and noticed my upstream speed has increased by around 80Kbps since I disabled QoS on the router.

Also check the modulation is set to ADSL2+ G.992.5 rather than multimode.  I noticed my connection was saying ADSL2 so I tried manually setting it to G.922.5 and now I have my fastest ever upload sync of 1024kbps.:)

Steve

It does seem the QoS reserves some upload bandwidth
Steve
------------

captainpud

My 2710n should be with me tomorrow but the three hundred page manual  :o is a bit scary.

How do you disable QOS?

Glenn

Like this
Quote from: klipp on Aug 26, 2010, 14:48:35
Seems like it can't be switched off unless you install a beta firmware.  Think I'll leave it as it is to be honest, it doesn't seem to be causing me any problems.

Edit:

qos setup -m 0

Type that into telnet to disable QoS. :)
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: captainpud on Aug 26, 2010, 20:28:58
My 2710n should be with me tomorrow but the three hundred page manual  :o is a bit scary.

I doubt there will be more than three pages in English.  ;D
Simon.
--

Ray

They're all in English, Simon, some of it you can ignore if you don't have the VOIP version. :)
Ray
--------------------

Glenn

But how many do you fully understand?  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 26, 2010, 20:45:41
Like this

I have received my router now and seem to have it connected ok but I need help turning off QOS. What is telnet? Can someone talk me through switching off QOS please as it seems to have lost me about 80k of my upload :( Sorry if I am being dense.

Many Thanks :)

Paul

Rik

Hit start > run, then type telnet. That will take you into the telnet client, type the command line, hit enter and close the window.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

If it's not installed

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Telnet-frequently-asked-questions

The command would be telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (router address)  followed by the command given earlier
Steve
------------

Ray

You also need to enter the router admin password after you telnet into it or it won't accept any commands.
Ray
--------------------

captainpud

Thank you very much Gents ;D. A lot of trial and error but I got it to work in the end :) Got my upload back 8-)

I needed to type open then router address, enter, password, enter, then the command line, enter.

My first time using telnet so I really appreciate all the help. The link to the telnet site was very educational.

You can all have a Karma for that ;D

The new router on initial tests seems to be holding my download speed better, so  :fingers: that I did have a faulty router and this new one will sort my problems. This is certainly the first time I have seen 6.4MB in the last few weeks.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

klipp

I should have left my modulation on multimode!!!  I had numerous sync drops overnight on manual ADSL2+.  Switched it back to multimode (which chose ADSL2 for me) and I got my stability back, but BT punished me by putting my N/M up to 9db. :mad:  Oh well, I won't be doing that again. :laugh:

Rik

BT have a way of punishing us. :( Well, lots of ways actually...
Rik
--------------------

Baz

looking at a new router may be and seen some good reviews and recommendations about Draytek.

What is Voip on some of their models and which is the best model that doesnt have that feature as I dont think i'll need it.

Are they a bit too complex for the home user, set up side of it etc.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Baz

Quote from: Glenn on Sep 01, 2010, 13:58:36
Voice over IP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_Internet_Protocol

thanks Glenn.............in simple terms that means??   :laugh: :laugh:

Do i really need it   :dunno:

Ray

If you want wireless go  for the Vigor 2710n, Baz, if you dont go for the Vigor 2710, I didn't find my any more difficult to set up than my previous Netgear or Speedtouch models. There are some facilities available on them that a home user probably won't need but you have 2 methods of setting them up as either a 'User' which is a simpler mode that hides things you don't need, or as an 'Administrator' which makes all options available to use. Either way you can leave unwanted options disabled and needn't worry about them.

They are more expensive that some other routers but they are very good quality and this is what you are paying a premium for, I've been using a Vigor 2710n for about 12 days now and the connection has been rock solid and stable all the time.
Ray
--------------------

Baz

yeah I need wireless Ray and have a Netgear at the moment which may be getting a bit flaky,dont know.One of those things isnt it,will only find out when it finally dies  :)

Of course the netgear was simple as to set up and thats the main thing which is making me think again about the Draytek,then as you say the price...for a similar spec Netgear or even other make they seem a lot dearer.

how does it compare to your netgear then when you used that.you say the connection has been solid,did you get bother with the netgear

faircot

Quote from: Ray on Sep 01, 2010, 14:07:39
If you want wireless go  for the Vigor 2710n, Baz, if you dont go for the Vigor 2710, I didn't find my any more difficult to set up than my previous Netgear or Speedtouch models. There are some facilities available on them that a home user probably won't need but you have 2 methods of setting them up as either a 'User' which is a simpler mode that hides things you don't need, or as an 'Administrator' which makes all options available to use. Either way you can leave unwanted options disabled and needn't worry about them.

I echo all your comments, Ray. I took delivery of a 2710n two days ago to replace an excellent but restricted, Zen supplied Speedtouch 780wl and was pleasantly surprised to find that connection speed and throughput were just the same as the Speedtouch with error correction much less; it was also infinitely better than a 2 Wire I bought after good reports here. I did turn off QoS because I'm not running VOIP or any network services that could need it. Wireless range using n standard laptop card is excellent. Looks good so far.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve

Another recommendation for the 2710N :thumb:
Steve
------------

Rik

I'm just hoping my stock of routers will last out until fibre arrives. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Shame its not dual band, I find having the 5Ghz band means I can have no interference issues. 2.4Ghz is over saturated with BT hubs around where I live, and they all seem to be hotspots as well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

You could always bridge I suppose with a 5Ghz router. I wonder if the 2710 has a wan port?
Steve
------------

Baz

plenty of good points and recommendations there thanks.May go for that then just need a few welcome donations now to help me fund it....... :)

guys??

any one?                             

please   :(

Rik

When I go fibre, Baz, you can have all my old routers. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Baz

cheers Rik.I bet thats quite a collection

I was hoping for more in the line of sterling donations, you know?  ;)

any way, when you go fibre??  you got it planned?

Rik

Should be December, I'm hoping it's on time as I can miss the VAT increase for a year. ;D
Rik
--------------------