BT Retail increase their "Unlimited" packages

Started by .Griff., Aug 25, 2010, 14:38:54

Previous topic - Next topic

.Griff.

BT Retail have now increased the limit on their "Unlimited" packages from 100GB to 300GB a month. (Various sources available but I'll find them if you want)

One of the reasons I chose IDNet over BT and their "Infinity 2" product was IDNet offered more download allowance. Obviously there's other differences between "Infinity 2" and "Home Fibre Plus" than download allowance but will IDNet be looking to increase the download limits on their Fibre products as a result?

Steve

I think it will depend whether BT Wholesale or whoever the supplier is reduces the unit charge to IDNet, they have been very good in the past in passing these benefits on to customers either in terms of package price reduction or an increased allowance.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kev445

The two services are in two completely different leagues...

IDNet provide you with an internet connection which is not tampered with in any shape or form, they ensure there is enough bandwidth on the network so you can use your allowance in any way you choose.

BT on the other hand traffic shape P2P in order to give priority to all other internet traffic, which means P2P is often in the very slow lane. If however your download allowance is used up from watching BBC IPlayer, playing online games and download from non P2P sites, then this could be a good deal.

300GB is allot of allowance for any ISP to swallow, even if they do throttle P2P, it could mean peak time speeds are affected or further traffic shaping is introduced, if too many people take advantage.

Then theres support :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Quote from: kev445 on Aug 25, 2010, 16:13:17
The two services are in two completely different leagues...

IDNet provide you with an internet connection which is not tampered with in any shape or form, they ensure there is enough bandwidth on the network so you can use your allowance in any way you choose.

BT on the other hand traffic shape P2P in order to give priority to all other internet traffic, which means P2P is often in the very slow lane. If however your download allowance is used up from watching BBC IPlayer, playing online games and download from non P2P sites, then this could be a good deal.

300GB is allot of allowance for any ISP to swallow, even if they do throttle P2P, it could mean peak time speeds are affected or further traffic shaping is introduced, if too many people take advantage.

Then theres support :)

I'm well aware of the differences, I even alluded to them in my post.

All the above you mention are valid points and contributed towards my decision to opt for IDNet over BT (and AAISP, Vivaciti, etc) but my basic question remains valid.