IDNet Home Plus Fibre - 72 Hours Later...

Started by .Griff., Aug 26, 2010, 18:21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Nothing that would get past your swear filter :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

That thing needs a sanity check...

Download speed achieved during the test was - 31584 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12000-4000 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -4000 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7666 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

:dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

I think they need to sit down and re-write the tester, it's full of mayhem.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Is the fault in the line that it has "BT" stickers on it? Or that it's copper? Or that the exchange and hardware just cannot cope with the upgrades.  :shake:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

We could do with a few more of those easy questions :thumb:
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Guys what's the length of the cooling off period with IDNet?

Simon

Not sure there is one, but it's only a 1 month contract.
Simon.
--

.Griff.

Quote from: Simon on Aug 27, 2010, 15:21:30
Not sure there is one, but it's only a 1 month contract.

There's no cooling off period??!? Erm isn't that breaking the law?

As for the 1 month contract -

QuoteFibre services have a minimum 12 month contract

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

.Griff.

This is getting ugly.

As support closes at 6.30pm in the evenings I sent an email last night outlining my concerns and asking someone to call me today to discuss the issue. Instead of this I received a generic/default email this morning pointing to to BT's speedtest. That was it.. No elaboration, no comments, nothing.

I've just called support and they couldn't be less interested. "That's how it is.." and "What do you want us to do about it" are two direct quotes. I was also told IDNet do not have a cooling off period which is odd as I'm pretty sure it's UK law for all contracts (with a few specific exceptions) to have a cooling off period.

Apparently a director is going to call me back.

Rik

Cooling off periods only apply to certain types of sales, mainly distance selling, eg insurance and goods. Services are not generally covered by a cooling off period because costs are incurred at the start of the contract.
Rik
--------------------

sof2er

Keep us updated!

I'm thinking it might be congestion affecting the DL speeds, strangely enough the upload speeds remain solid as a rock at any time of the day.

I'm not entirely sure about how DL Speeds are calculated, is it shared with all users on the exchange/cabinet or is it shared with the users of the same ISP on that exchange ?

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Aug 27, 2010, 15:59:31
Cooling off periods only apply to certain types of sales, mainly distance selling, eg insurance and goods. Services are not generally covered by a cooling off period because costs are incurred at the start of the contract.

Rik you're preaching to someone who's family are all solicitors. That aside every ISP I've worked with or had professional dealings with (Remember I worked for a prominent ISP before) have cooling off periods.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Rik would you know Simons surname at all? I forgot to ask when he called.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Bill

I'm not as hacked off as Griff, but something isn't right somewhere... the BT tester is (more or less) on speaking terms with me again, so I've been running tests during the day on that and, as close to it as possible, the tbb one.

Some very odd results... the tbb tester gives me anything from 15 to 30+Mbps download but a rock solid 8Mbps upload. BT gives more consistent download speeds (>25Mbps) but upload varies from 3-7Mbps. Huh?

Always well over the fault level of 12Mbps.

I'll keep it up for a few more days before tabulating the results, but something doesn't look right to me :(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

I suspect it will come down to BT backhaul not being adequate, just as it wasn't when ADSL2+ was launched, Bill.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

It could well be, I'm not necessarily blaming IDNet, but why does the BT tester show possible congestion on uploading whereas the tbb one never does?

I've NEVER had congested uploading before...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Bill I think it's clear the BT Speedtest is a waste of time. It's obviously in BT's interest for people to get good results from it so it's hardly independent and given the ridiculous tolerances (12mbps to 37mbps is acceptable for a 40mbps connection) there's not much to be gained from it. BT will obviously just turn round and say our connections fall within the set allowances so go away and stop bothering us.

I am however making a record of tests as requested.

Rik

You've never had the ability to upload so fast, Bill. FTTC is too new for there to be much 'body of experience' in the forum, so we can only guess at what is going on. The one fact that we do have is that BT didn't upgrade their network before launching ADSL2+ and, for several months, there were speed problems as they appeared to juggle with the available bandwidth. Knowing their ability to plan, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the same hasn't happened again.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 27, 2010, 17:28:06
given the ridiculous tolerances (12mbps to 37mbps is acceptable for a 40mbps connection)

I couldn't agree more about the acceptable range on all BT BB services. Unfortunately, they make the rules, and there's little or nothing any ISP who is re-selling BT services can do about it. I've even argued the point with BT's CEO but got nowhere.
Rik
--------------------