IDNet Home Plus Fibre - 72 Hours Later...

Started by .Griff., Aug 26, 2010, 18:21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 27, 2010, 17:28:06
Bill I think it's clear the BT Speedtest is a waste of time.

I don't think it's far out on the speeds it gives- I watch the transfers on the Mac's Network monitor and they're consistent with that.

I'm logging all my results too.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

I don't disagree with the speeds BT Speedtests report but what I meant it how relevant is the tester to the rest of the internet?!?

I just think it's narrow-minded for BT to dictate our connections are fine simply because they work ok with their test site. What about all the other websites, ftp, Usenet etc we download from. For all we know BT could give higher priority to the traffic using the speedtest which is why our results from it don't reflect our results from other download sources.

That's essentially what I meant when I said BT's speedtest was a waste of time.

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Aug 27, 2010, 17:28:29
You've never had the ability to upload so fast, Bill. FTTC is too new for there to be much 'body of experience' in the forum
It's alsotoo new to have had a large take-up yet, and I don't think the extra usage so far (from everyone, not just IDNet users) would have had much effect yet.

Don't forget that unless someone drastically changes their usage pattern, they may be downloading faster but not for as long, so it should balance out to a large extent.

If BT have made a cock-up again (quite likely) I'd think it's more likely to be in the load sharing or something where the fibre part of the network joins the copper-based bit.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Just a quick thought Bill.. Are you on a standard or premium package?

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Aug 27, 2010, 17:36:57
I'd think it's more likely to be in the load sharing or something where the fibre part of the network joins the copper-based bit.

In the latter case, that's now the cabinet.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 27, 2010, 17:34:21
I don't disagree with the speeds BT Speedtests report but what I meant it how relevant is the tester to the rest of the internet?!?

Ah, OK... but how relevant is any speedtest to the rest of the internet? All it tells you is how fast the line was at a specific moment to a specific server over a specific route :(

On the whole I'm finding my connection nice and quick for general use, it's the anomalies that are bothering me.

And if Rik is right and it's lack of backhaul, God help us when the Olympics start and half the population is using FTTC :bawl:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

:lol:

No problems, Bill, for everything else you have TV. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 27, 2010, 17:39:42
Just a quick thought Bill.. Are you on a standard or premium package?

I'm on the Home Plus package, one up from the bottom one.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Quote from: Bill on Aug 27, 2010, 17:41:51
On the whole I'm finding my connection nice and quick for general use, it's the anomalies that are bothering me.

That's maybe where we differ. My BT speedtests are generally fine and consistent. EVERY other download source is poor.

That suggests to me BT are giving priority routing and/or traffic to their own tester to encourage beneficial results.

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Aug 27, 2010, 17:40:11
In the latter case, that's now the cabinet.

No, I meant where the fibre(s?) from the cabinets feed into the start of the exchange backhaul, ie joining the feed from all the exchange-based MSANs.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Quote from: Bill on Aug 27, 2010, 17:43:49
I'm on the Home Plus package, one up from the bottom one.

Same. I wonder what the "Premium" package is like as it has "Priority given at the exchange over standard ADSL traffic"

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Aug 27, 2010, 17:46:26
No, I meant where the fibre(s?) from the cabinets feed into the start of the exchange backhaul, ie joining the feed from all the exchange-based MSANs.

Ah, got you...
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I guess that's the difficult balancing act as a few P2Ps going full throttle on fibre are going to screw the exchange for adsl2+ etc.
Steve
------------

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Aug 27, 2010, 17:43:24
:lol:

No problems, Bill, for everything else you have TV. ;)

The TV will be wall to wall Olympics, I want to use the internet to get away from it!!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

On a positive note (See I can do positive as well as negative  ;) ) my pings improved yesterday.. Not sure what exactly happened at 1.45pm but I'm not complaining.

Rik

How do they compare with your ADSL pings?
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Bill

I cba'd to post a graph, but my pings are a lot better (12msec down from ~25) too, and the BQM shows a lot less spikes.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Aug 27, 2010, 17:58:14
How do they compare with your ADSL pings?

Lower by about 12ms on average than they were on ADSL.

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Aug 27, 2010, 17:59:38
I cba'd to post a graph, but my pings are a lot better (12msec down from ~25) too, and the BQM shows a lot less spikes.

Were you interleaved, Bill?
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Rik

Quote from: .Griff. on Aug 27, 2010, 18:00:47
Lower by about 12ms on average than they were on ADSL.

Similar to Bill's improvement. If that holds for all fibre, I stand to get a 3ms ping.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Aug 27, 2010, 18:01:23
Were you interleaved, Bill?

I was interleaved on ADSL2+. but fastpath now (I assume).
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6