Who stole the internet?

Started by Niall, Sep 05, 2010, 09:48:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

:music: One day your bits will come :music:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 05, 2010, 10:24:54
:music: One day your bits will come :music:
:o That's for Justina to know only, Rik.  :blush:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Rik

;D

I can hide the thread...
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Thought he was bragging then  :slap:
Steve
------------

Gary

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Sep 05, 2010, 10:53:24
Thought he was bragging then  :slap:
Its to cold for that, Steve  ;)

Monk

Mine has been down since 8.15am Glad to know this is all that's happening as I've been fiddling with the router unnecessarily. We don't always read announcements, as this incident proves, and the thread has been read about 63 times last time I looked. Good on IDNET for notifying us, however, not all of their customers keep up with the site on regular basis. What about a text message service which we could subscribe to/or it could be free  ;D so that way we're all kept up to date  with any service announcements without having to ring in or wait to find out what's wrong? Most of us have only one line so if internet is down, there's no way of knowing what's going on... unless you were smart enough to read the announcements in the first place that is.  :blush:

Rik

You could subscribe to the RSS feed, it's free and warned us of the work, hence we decided to put up the announcement. You shouldn't have been down at 8:15 though.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

AN SMS subscription service does sound like a good idea although I've no idea what costs are involved.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Sep 05, 2010, 11:02:11
AN SMS subscription service does sound like a good idea although I've no idea what costs are involved.
It is a good idea, the NatWest do one if you have their iPhone app so you get a text telling you your balance every Friday which is handy. I think it may have to be a paid for service I guess though as it may be a complex thing to set up.

Monk

You're right Rik, but it would be great to be notified of problems as they happen too, where service announcements wouldn't be useful. Anyway, serves us right for not reading the post. Great sunday to you all.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 05, 2010, 11:11:20
I'll suggest it...
I would not mind if its  a subscription based service, but I wonder if enough people would use it to make it cost affective?

Rik

That's probably the key question, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 05, 2010, 11:18:47
That's probably the key question, Gary.
I fear the answer may be not, Rik.

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Sep 05, 2010, 11:25:08
I fear the answer may be not, Rik.

Agreed, I wouldn't bother... if I'm at the computer I'll see it on RSS, if I'm not then I don't care :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Sep 05, 2010, 11:27:59
Agreed, I wouldn't bother... if I'm at the computer I'll see it on RSS, if I'm not then I don't care :P
If I cant get online, like this morning I use my Phone to check status, so its not an issue either way, it would be a nice extra but not really needed.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

ou7shined

Ah panic over.
I too have been struggling with all the known "home fixes" today before checking here via my phone.

I hope this hardware upgrade inadvertently fixes my issues too (pages taking forever to open). My connection has been appalling since the Scotland/N Ireland outages a while back. I'm seriously thinking about trying a different ISP to see of I can regain the level of service I used to get from IDNet.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Rik

Have you talked to them, Rich?
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Are we talking about community based SMS subscription or IDNet sponsored?
If there is not a website already setup to outsource such things, there should be. That way personal data could all be kept safe (IE no one here need know my number for example). IDnetters could register for updates. It could be paid for with an add at the bottom of the txt for "www.mcdonalds.com" or "Donald Russell sausages". Then Rik and the peeps here could relay a message "service down for 1 hour sunday" and the sms would be sent.

[edit]
We need something like "http://www.bulksms.co.uk/?gclid=CJvU8IbD8KMCFRZf4wodsy293Q" that intergrates directly into the forum/myspace/facebook so that people can register/unregister via a web portal. Hmm, saying that, does facebook have it's own SMS messaging service? We could start a "IDnetters Service update" page?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

We were thinking IDNet sponsored, Ben.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Well, as most people are able to access myspace or facebook or twitter from their mobiles now, could IDNet use one of these? Then the actual workload would be very small for them. Some simple script to copy/paste updates from the IDNet page/here to the twitter for example. There is also the App route.  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.