Who stole the internet?

Started by Niall, Sep 05, 2010, 09:48:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I'll see what they say...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Hmmm. My router messed up it's dates again.  :bawl:
But by the looks of it I got my connect back at 12 (if it was a system wide service interuption for repaires/upgrades). No idea how long it was down. So personally I've had no problems over here.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

It's not down to IDNet's work, Ben, that would only have caused routing issues, not connection ones.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

I had authentication drops yesterday afternoon and this morning when Ident were working.  I have just had another authentication drop for a fewminutes just now.  I am on the Frinton on sea exchange which is hardly congested at any time because of all the older peiople round here ;D  ANy ideas why, I expect BT work on the exchange, unfortunately BT don't always letIdnet know when or where they are going to carry out work so it's not worth worrying them about it just yet.
------
Alf :)

Rik

The only report I can find refers to the Ealing BRAS, Alf, but since Norwich goes through Milton Keynes, who knows what route your connection takes?
Rik
--------------------

ou7shined

Quote from: Rik on Sep 05, 2010, 15:37:17
Have you talked to them, Rich?
Hi Rik.
How are you doing mate?

To be fair, no I haven't. I reached breaking point last week and meant to do something about it but seeing I was distinctly underwhelmed with my last batch of contact (the Scotland/N Ireland outages - still don't know what happened) I've been procrastinating the "speaking to someone about it" part. You see it works then it doesn't, the connection feels like sludge then next minute it's back up again for a while. It's only been like this since the outages. I think I know what they will say anyway as I checked on here during the worst moments and no one else was reporting similar experiences so I presume it will be blamed on BT, my exchange, my wiring, my router etc.
After having stuck with IDNet for so many years (four now I think) I see the quality of my service really isn't as top notch as it used to be. I can't help thinking it's time to try elsewhere but having moved to this new house earlier this year and gone through all the waiting and extra charges involved in hooking up my BB, I'm put off going through all it again so soon. let's hope todays jiggery-pokery has put my line back the way it was.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Rik

Not so bad, yourself? :)

Run a BT test and let support have that plus your router stats, Rich, ideally all done from the test socket. Let them take a look at it.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

How long before I can access websites? I can only load idnetters

Rik

I don't know, I was told not long now at 16:26.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

I'll go eat my roast then!  :food2:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Look on the bright side- the list of Users Online is the longest I've seen in some time ;)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

.Griff.

My connection went down 10 minutes ago and I couldn't even access IDNET.net from another connection during that period?!?!

JohnH

Just had a total loss of connectivity lasting about 5 minutes. All seems well know.
Missus swears it wasn't her pulling the router plug to do the hoovering.  :laugh:

ou7shined

Quote from: Rik on Sep 05, 2010, 16:31:11
Not so bad, yourself? :)

Run a BT test and let support have that plus your router stats, Rich, ideally all done from the test socket. Let them take a look at it.

Aye, me to (apart from the obvious :D)

We're still not out of the woods yet, I lost connection (or didn't acording to my router) there for a minute again.

I'll tell them tha morra.
Cheers.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

cavillas

Quote from: Rik on Sep 05, 2010, 16:20:39
The only report I can find refers to the Ealing BRAS, Alf, but since Norwich goes through Milton Keynes, who knows what route your connection takes?

Are they big bras or only for those less endowed? ;D  It seems that this is fairly widespread and intermittant.  Could you ask Simon and co to tell us what happened via the website or this one when he has the time that is.  I'm sure it would calm many people down and put their minds at rest.
------
Alf :)

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Sep 05, 2010, 16:44:05
Look on the bright side- the list of Users Online is the longest I've seen in some time ;)

;D
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: .Griff. on Sep 05, 2010, 16:44:39
My connection went down 10 minutes ago and I couldn't even access IDNET.net from another connection during that period?!?!

Did you lose sync, or could you not connect to the outside world?
Rik
--------------------

klipp

I seem to keep losing internet access but not sync or PPP.  Would this be the maintenance work? :)

Rik

Quote from: cavillas on Sep 05, 2010, 16:46:53
Are they big bras or only for those less endowed? ;D  It seems that this is fairly widespread and intermittant.  Could you ask Simon and co to tell us what happened via the website or this one when he has the time that is.  I'm sure it would calm many people down and put their minds at rest.

They already did, Alf. :)

Quote2010-09-03 16:51: We will be performing network maintenance on Sunday 5th Spetember between 9am and 3pm. The work should not disrupt broadband connections but some brief periods of routing inconsistencies may occur as external links are migrated onto new core routers.

As updated by our newsfader.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I imagine so as that's what I saw earlier today, and again about 20 minutes ago (ish). I can see sites again currently.

I'm not actually doing anything so I don't care, but I thought I'd mention it :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Quote from: klipp on Sep 05, 2010, 16:48:44
I seem to keep losing internet access but not sync or PPP.  Would this be the maintenance work? :)

Yes, but the forum, so far, has kept 'up'.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Niall on Sep 05, 2010, 16:50:21
I imagine so as that's what I saw earlier today, and again about 20 minutes ago (ish). I can see sites again currently.

I'm not actually doing anything so I don't care, but I thought I'd mention it :D

That's it, thanks Niall.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Actually, earlier on when I was browsing here on my iphone, I couldn't find the forums. They seemed to vanish for a minute or so.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

They would do, Niall, it's not a network issue as such, it's IDNet's connectivity to the world which is affected.
Rik
--------------------