Post upgrade problems

Started by Rik, Sep 05, 2010, 19:43:50

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

Go to IDNet.com
Click on Customer Login in top right.
Put original activation address and password in.
Click login.

Computer says 'login failed'.

Is that enough info?

Rik

Quote from: peasblossom on Sep 06, 2010, 16:41:13
Go to IDNet.com
Click on Customer Login in top right.
Put original activation address and password in.
Click login.

Computer says 'login failed'.

Is that enough info?

Yup. Email those details to support, they may need to reset your account. Obviously, we can't help you directly with that.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Quote from: wecpcs on Sep 06, 2010, 16:42:43
@dorsetboy: I have the RSS feed now on my browser in work, can't find an option for it to email me though? where is that?

It doesn't exist directly, afaik, Colin.
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: gyruss on Sep 06, 2010, 12:54:18
I'll check my connection tonight when i'm home.  

@gary, i know the bt call out was for something 'different' but at the time it was all related stuff and yesterday i was witnessing multiple resyncs throughout the day and into the late evening.  I don't think highlighting this was offtopic for this thread though.

@dorsetboy: I have the RSS feed now on my browser in work, can't find an option for it to email me though? where is that?

As I use Outlook 2003 and the RSS feed although shown does not work you have to have the 2007/2010 version for it to work. But after Googling I found RSS Popper a Freeware addin for Outlook and Outlook Express and it works perfectly.

Colin

PS Rik could you please delete my earlier post to avoid confusion

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Sep 06, 2010, 16:52:18
It doesn't exist directly, afaik, Colin.

I just edited my previous post and it created a new one. In my first post I was quoting from another user but removed too much of the quote so it was not clear what I was stating. The RSS Popper does indeed exist and works.

Colin

Rik

Gone. :)

How did you get Popper to work, Colin, it's fighting me if I just grab the link.
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Sep 06, 2010, 17:03:17
Gone. :)

How did you get Popper to work, Colin, it's fighting me if I just grab the link.

I just copied the URL link from the RSS icon which I right clicked on the Idnet site and pasted it into RSS Popper and it automatically filled in the other fields. It comes with some RSS feeds already but I just deleted them.

Colin

esh

Things seem to be improving here. I've only had a handful of warnings about failed DNS lookups since 3pm and external connections seem more stable.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Quote from: wecpcs on Sep 06, 2010, 17:06:25
I just copied the URL link from the RSS icon which I right clicked on the Idnet site and pasted it into RSS Popper and it automatically filled in the other fields. It comes with some RSS feeds already but I just deleted them.

Colin

I did that and it gave me a 'failed to parse XML' error. Did you have an RSS feed already setup? I wonder whether I'm confusing it by having two?
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: esh on Sep 06, 2010, 17:09:06
Things seem to be improving here. I've only had a handful of warnings about failed DNS lookups since 3pm and external connections seem more stable.

Things should get steadily better now.
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Sep 06, 2010, 17:11:01
I did that and it gave me a 'failed to parse XML' error. Did you have an RSS feed already setup? I wonder whether I'm confusing it by having two?

What I actually did I remember was to right click on the Idnet Customer Feed icon in Firefox then select properties and copy the feed location and paste into the link field in Popper and it automatically filled in the other two fields. Sorry if I confused you, but I had tried so many different ways myself even including IE8, I  even confused myself.

Colin

Rik

Thanks, Colin. I'll try again.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Sep 06, 2010, 17:50:01
Perfect. :karma:

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the Karma.

Colin

esh

Well I'm not sure what's going on now. It seems that along with the IDNet upgrades at the weekend, the new router was installed on my line as well, so I am utterly unsure as to where my problem is.

Periodically, it appears to an external user that services (SSH, HTTP, etc) are not available, the connection times out. This is usually for about 15 minutes until it is back again. Sometimes people on other ISPs can access these services while others cannot, and then it may swap around. A connection that is already active may hold (like SSH), but then when it is 'down' new connections cannot be made until it is 'up' again.

Firewall logging is on and shows that the connection is registered from the remote user even when it appears to be down for them. Packet logging shows that the TCP SYN is passed (from remote to server) and then ACK'd by the server. The server is then sending 'previous segment lost' to the external client (indicating it's not getting anything more), and this whole SYN/ACK/LOST party goes on and on until the connection is back 'up' to the client.

The last DNS error I recorded was 4am or so.

Anyone have a clue if this is my router or an upgrade problem? Worst router upgrade timing choice ever!
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

I'd suggest having a word with support, Esh. TBH, I haven't a clue.  :(
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Not really a problem, more an observation, but something slightly odd seems to have happened with the upgrade.

My BQM trace from last Friday:

Today:

That increased ping (yellow) usually means more congestion, could the new kit be picking less than ideal routing?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Possible, Bill. Let support have the images so they can take a look at it. (Fwiw, my pings are slightly lower.)
Rik
--------------------

Bill

I'll leave it for a day or so in case it settles down (may not be related to the upgrade), but will do.

It's not actually causing me any grief, and I'd guess support might still have other things on their mind :eek4:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

esh

For the record; my pings are lower also. Now about 8ms.

Rik

How much of an improvement is that?
Rik
--------------------

esh

Down from about 13-14 ms.

Also my problems are solved; during the upgrades the server picked up the new default gateway but thanks to Linux's super-friendly logical intuitiveness.. didn't remove the old one. Two default gateways make things get very confused, unsurprisingly. Quite why it was swapping between one and the other, who knows! Fixed now anyway.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

DarkStar

A bit late coming back to this, was out a lot yesterday and this morning.
Although I can browse most sites as normal there are a couple that seem to be consistently slow. My pings are not normal though, they were consistent between 30>35 but am seeing a lot of spikes at the moment. Have attached a TBB graph, have also had RouterStats on some of the time and the pings are showing up fairly erratic on there as well.
Not too keen on messing about much on this machine at the moment as it on it's last legs and VERY temperamental now. Should get my new machine soon  :fingers: then I can stop living on a knife edge  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ian

Rik

Rik
--------------------