Repeated Disconnects

Started by Archeros, Sep 07, 2010, 17:11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Archeros

Hey everyone.
Kinda depressing i always come here when i need help so thought id start with 'IDNET is great!' and 'IDNETTERS is fantastic!'
ahem

Anyway, im still suffering from the same problem i had last time, where the connection will drop out randomly (and often) and, if my feeble mind comprehends the terms right, resyncs again with different download and sometimes upload speeds. Causes my router no ends of fun it seems, making it spam the security log with lots of:
Tue 2010-09-07 13:50:42 ADSL link down
Tue 2010-09-07 13:50:44 ADSL G.994 training
Tue 2010-09-07 13:50:48 ADSL G.992 started
Tue 2010-09-07 13:50:51 ADSL G.992 channel analysis
Tue 2010-09-07 13:50:55 ADSL G.992 message exchange
Tue 2010-09-07 13:50:55 ADSL link up, fast, us=832, ds=6368
Tue 2010-09-07 13:51:03 WAN Connection terminated
Tue 2010-09-07 13:51:11 WAN connection restarted, please check your internet settings
Tue 2010-09-07 13:51:24 WAN CHAP authentication success
Tue 2010-09-07 13:51:24 WAN connected IP address 93.89.130.180
Tue 2010-09-07 14:55:12 - Router get real time with time-zone +0
Tue 2010-09-07 15:19:50 192.168.2.6 00:23:76:D6:ED:90 Request
Tue 2010-09-07 15:24:15 192.168.2.6 00:23:76:D6:ED:90 Request
Tue 2010-09-07 15:29:47 ADSL link down
Tue 2010-09-07 15:29:48 ADSL G.994 training
Tue 2010-09-07 15:29:53 ADSL G.992 started
Tue 2010-09-07 15:29:55 ADSL G.992 channel analysis
Tue 2010-09-07 15:30:00 ADSL link up, fast, us=800, ds=5760
Tue 2010-09-07 15:30:04 WAN Connection terminated
Tue 2010-09-07 15:30:17 WAN connection restarted, please check your internet settings
Tue 2010-09-07 15:30:23 WAN CHAP authentication success
Tue 2010-09-07 15:30:24 WAN connected IP address 93.89.130.180
Tue 2010-09-07 15:31:52 ADSL link down
Tue 2010-09-07 15:31:56 ADSL G.994 training
Tue 2010-09-07 15:31:57 WAN connection disconnected, please check the cable
Tue 2010-09-07 15:32:00 ADSL G.992 started
Tue 2010-09-07 15:32:02 WAN connection restarted, please check your internet settings
Tue 2010-09-07 15:32:02 ADSL G.992 channel analysis
Tue 2010-09-07 15:32:07 ADSL link up, fast, us=832, ds=6208

Anyway, i asked BT for help, and apart from 1 email saying the line was checked and was fine, they didnt help much.
Also, IDNET have checked my connection and say its fine (which its is tbh, couldnt ask for better, when its working) and they talked me through loads of stuff which ive tried including connecting things one at a time to the test socket, changing filters, using the quiet line thing, using a wired phone and even using a radio to see what might be causing alot of interference. Alot more help than BT.

Im at a complete loss really, but one thing i noticed while i was checking the equipment was on the phone line coming into the house (b4 the openreach box) there is another small BT box. The cable going into this box has wires that are not attacked to anything, and similary, the cable going into the openreach boxis also split with wires not attached to anything.
Onviously im clutching at straws here but apart from seeming strange, wouldnt those wires make the line more susceptible to interference, and, because its b4 the openreach box, does that make it BTs responisbility and not something they would charge those huge ammounts to come and look at?

Hehe, seems ive written alot more than i intended, sorry for that :) Any help would b great, because this is really getting depressing

Cheers

Rik

What router are you using and where is it connected, eg main socket or an extension?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Archeros

Wow, that reply was fast!
Its a Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router, and its connected to the microfilter connected to the openreach box, theres a BT i-plate on that, if that makes a difference, though the disconnects happens no matter if its on or not.

Rik

Is there any chance you can borrow a different router to try. Belkins are not that reliable in my experience.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

You don't need a filter to the device connected via the iplate do you?
Steve
------------

Rik

I think the iPlate just disconnects the ring wire, Steve.
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Ill see if i can find one, though afaik the other router we has got chucked after dad bought the Belkin. It said it would do everything he wanted on the box so he presumed it would :)

Rik

Eliminating the router is always a good first step, try a different filter too.
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Yup, seems the other router is gone.
Ive changed the filters, didnt seem to make a difference.
The quietline test is silent most of the time and then suddenly it will go really noisy for 10 seconds then normal again. The wireless phones however are constantly crackly when the router is on and they arnt 'that' close.
I was thinking of buying a new router, something like one of the new Linksys with the different bandwidths to try reducing interference (not sure how ppl rate that router tho), but, as much as i dont mind paying for new stuff, i cant afford to throw money at it if its not the cause :(

Glenn

Is it a crackling noise? If so you need to report a noisy line to your phone line provider.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

What Glenn said, but don't mention broadband!!
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Hissing, crackling, pops....not for very long though. And ive gone to Bt.com, and done the fault check thing, and they say (well the robot does) that the line is fine. Im inclined the agree that the line is fine though, because like i said the connection is perfect, when its not suddenly turning off.
I think im going to have to try calling one of their ppl out again, i just really hope that if it does turn out to be these wires on the openreach box that counts as BTs responsibility and not ours, cuz i dont think my dads going to like one of their large bills when he returns from holiday :)

Rik

You shouldn't be hearing that, report it as a voice fault, not mentioning ADSL. You shouldn't get a bill that way (but do try a spare filter and a wired phone first).
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Just reported another fault to them, phone rang as i was doing it and the broadband went down, lol. Wonder if they got it

Glenn

Sounds like a line fault if the BB disconnects when the phone rings.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Sounds very much like a line fault.
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Thats what i thought to, until BT said there was no problem, just seems strange that its very on and off whatever is doing it. And the phone does cause it pretty often but no all the time........soooo frustrating, wish it was more obvious what was wrong, so i could just get whatever i need to fix it and not all this running around changing shadows :)

Rik

Can you try a new filter and a wired phone?
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Tried several new filters, and a wired phone, and through the iplate and straight through the test socket, makes no difference though.
I seem to be getting really high ping times as well now, though im guessing thats to do with the routing problems today?

Rik

Possibly, but mine are fine.
Rik
--------------------

Archeros

Just an update.
After trying several times to get help from BT by phoning them, we actually found we got waaaaaaaayyy better help from asking for help on their forum.
No idea if SeanB was here in england or not, but within 1 day of asking for help he'd contacted us, arranged someone to visit a couple of days later (who did this time), sent messages to keep me informed and even sent emails after the guys had come and gone to make sure things were going well and if i needed help still.
Turns out i had 2 or 3 faults on my line, 1 underground somewhere, 1 half way between me and the exchange and another they werent sure about up the pole outside our house. Cant fault them at all for what they did, think they spent near 6 hours fixing it all, which really surprised me after the trouble we'd had last week.
They even replaced all my cables from the pole to the house to the master socket.

Anyway, apart from some problem my son has routing to the server of the game he plays, everything seems alot better so far, touch wood :)

Glenn

Sounds like a good result, keep Sean's details handy.  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

That's good to hear. Their reps on ThinkBroadband can be pretty good too.
Rik
--------------------

esh

The way to get help from BT is by... not phoning them? Oh the irony!
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Rik
--------------------