Odd router problem

Started by exxos, Sep 10, 2010, 13:29:25

Previous topic - Next topic

exxos

Router was working fine thismorning, but a couple hours ago MSN messenger went off but didnt think anything much of it as i could still get webpages up. Though I write a lot of software which use the internet and HTTP protocol's etc, and all my software stopped working aswell. But I could get pages up in firefox so assumed my software had stopped working aswell. It wasn't until I saw that users were still logged into my server still running the software that I thought this isn't right.

To cut a boring story short, I restarted the router and everything is working perfect again and I am really confused as to what was going on. How can some internet stuff work but not others like that ? either the router is working or not in my eyes, but it seems the router was blocking something which it shouldn't have been doing somehow ?! anyone got any thoughts on this ? thanks.

DorsetBoy

exxos

thanks for that, reading though now :)

zappaDPJ

This morning's outage seems to have affected me in a similar manner. Full connectivity appears not to have come back until quite recently. I could browse a handful sites without issue (but not this one though) but I couldn't FTP to the same sites or download mail. I did reboot my router but that was around 7.45am this morning when it all kicked off. Everything seems to be back now.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

exxos

I cam online about 8.30, i was only using MSN at the time, and that just went off a couple hours later. must have been about 11am. Restarted my pc, didnt help, but restarting the router did the trick right away.

Must have been something do with with protocols, like FTP maybe didnt work but HTTP did kinda thing ? I don't know enough about this stuff , but it confused me no end. Insert vodka and press anykey  :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.