Ofcom to let new ISPs help customers switch

Started by Simon, Sep 10, 2010, 22:28:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Ofcom is considering overhauling the process by which customers switch broadband providers, putting the onus on the new ISP to handle the move.

At the moment, when a customer wants to leave one broadband provider in favour of another, the losing side must supply a Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) to be handed to the new supplier.

Under such a system, 45% of broadband users think switching to a new provider is too much hassle, according to Ofcom. That's set to worsen as more customers move to bundled packages, the watchdog warned.

To make things easier, Ofcom is considering switching to a Gaining Provider Led (GPL) process, to put the onus on the new ISP - which has greater motivation to take care of customers. "The gaining provider has an incentive to ensure that the switching process is as smooth and easy as possible," said Ofcom.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/361048/ofcom-to-let-new-isps-help-customers-switch
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

We'll all be slammed onto 'TalkTalk" before the end of the year. ;D
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

You have to feel sorry for all the decent ISPs who will now have to deal with the likes of TalkTalk on a daily basis. I never managed to get a working migration code out Poopex/Tiscali (TalkTalk) in six months of trying  :eek4:

I also think Steve has raised a seriously worry point.
zap
--------------------

Steve

I can just imagine  the phone call from TalkTalk unfortunately answered by my son. The question is something along the lines of "will you switch your broadband to us for a free crate of lager?" the reply being positive , TalkTalk respond " thank you sir we'll sort it all out for you  have a nice day and enjoy your beer"  :no:
Steve
------------

Inkblot

Well if somebody from IDNet reads this please note on my account that I do not want to move to another ISP under any circumstances and if any such requests come in from the likes of talktalk please let me know BEFORE doing anything! Email is checked daily so I'll deny it same day :)

Rik

I think there will have to be the same safety features as apply to phone slamming.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Sep 10, 2010, 22:56:22
We'll all be slammed onto 'TalkTalk" before the end of the year. ;D

Was thinking that. It's great to have a GPL but only if it's not abused. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Technical Ben

Quote from: Rik on Sep 11, 2010, 10:38:46
I think there will have to be the same safety features as apply to phone slamming.

Oh but where's the fun if you cannot slam down your phone! (A big problem with mobiles now, you'll trash them if you do it!)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

What a stupid idea.

We had our phone, gas and electric moved to Npower once without our consent or knowledge and the first we knew was when we received the bill.

It took a couple of months to get the phone back to BT (I took up responsibility for the phone lines last year and switched them to the phone coop) and gas and electric back to BG.

Hell I reckon if they'd had an ISP service they might have tried to change that toio.

I bet Talk Talk are rubbing their hands with glee.

Best make sure Zen know to rebuff any requests to change unless I tell them in writing.

This regulator is so out of touch.

Technical Ben

I guess it's time to put the barbed wire on the plugs in the exchange.  >:D

Rik

Quote from: pctech on Sep 11, 2010, 15:16:02
This regulator is so out of touch.

And always has been - total idiots.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I'll be calling Zen on Monday as don't know about yours Rik but Bradwell Abbey has Talk Talk equipment in it and I sure as hell don't want to be moved to them.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

the only GPL i like the sound of is the general public licence

nowster

Quote from: pctech on Sep 11, 2010, 15:16:02
We had our phone, gas and electric moved to Npower once without our consent or knowledge and the first we knew was when we received the bill.
You actually received a bill from npower? I was with them for 12 months, and the only bill I ever got off them (despite much cajoling) was the final one.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

I suspect I'll get a call from the phone coop now I've submitted an order to IDNet

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

*shudders*

They use either Murphx or Opal for their BB which is why I said no way.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Oh well, am happy as I'll shave about a tenner off  the phone bill for both lines and have absolutely no call charges (I generally call mobiles from my own mobile) and the IDNet staff seem like a good bunch so feel happy to be supporting a small biz in these times.

Rik

I've definitely saved since moving over, Mitch. Like you, I call mobile-to-mobile, and do a lot of my landline calls that way too, as they area free (as are calls between Sue and me, and my magic numbers, ie as many close friends as I can fit). I use the landline occasionally, but mostly for the 08xx calls.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

We all work really odd hours so noone is at home to really thrash the landline but it is good to know that picking it up will now not cost me a penny above rental as gone for the lite package eith 5 hours inclusive and line only on the one used to support the DSL.

Rik

Rik
--------------------