Is bt speedtester totally broken?

Started by SSK, Sep 16, 2010, 12:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I agree, Bill, but BT seem to want to veil the whole process in secrecy. Possibly, they fear that making the data available to people who don't understand it will only increase problems for ISPs?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

I thought of that as a possibility, but I think firm evidence that BT care much about ISPs' problems anyway is a bit lacking :P

The extra info could be hidden behind a "Use only on ISP instructions" checkbox on the login page...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Trouble is, people wouldn't be able to resist, Bill.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

I just got this

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6560 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8118 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.08:23.53:65.38 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
   0 Kbps

0 Kbps   888 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 888 Kbps

so no upload speed  :)       never used to get an upload speed test before  :dunno:

its weird at the moment isnt it.I only need to put in my phone number and it works.

Rik

It's being changed, and broken, at the moment, Baz. :shake:
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Quote from: Bill on Sep 18, 2010, 12:49:18
I thought of that as a possibility, but I think firm evidence that BT care much about ISPs' problems anyway is a bit lacking :P

The extra info could be hidden behind a "Use only on ISP instructions" checkbox on the login page...

Not sure whether IDNET provide the info but I have a line data option on the customer portal panel which shows the last 10 resync events and when the Run Mode (fastpath/interleaved) changes either as a result of manual or automatic change but does depend on BT feeding the info directly into it.

This kind of info Bill mentions would be useful in a portal for tech savvy users.

tobykim

I've not been able to use the bt speedtester since I joined idnet (adsl) I could before with previous isp's, luckily my speed seems ok

Rik

Rik
--------------------

gyruss

My BT speedtest never gets past the Checking User details screen... it just sits there forever.. I only know its been a problem for the last week and have checked for the obvious (eg. firewalls), and the same occurs on another pc on my lan too.  Have also tried Opera, Firefox and IE, same issue on all.

Anyone else getting this issue?
Jase

Simon

It still passes through without asking for anything but the phone number for me.
Simon.
--

Rik

Same here, but many people see what you do, Gyruss. I can only put it down to time of day or, perhaps, AV software in use. You are running the latest Java I take it?
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Yes, latest JAVA, and checked to ensure no firewall hits from the IP shown in the bt speed test too.  It sits there awaiting response from the IP shown in the bottom left hand corner.

When the 'upgrades' were done the other sunday and everyone had problems with DNS etc, and there was talk of routing tables with issues, i've not been able to do a speedtest since then.. so i'm wondering if the upgrade(s) are part of the problem? (yes i know its pure coincidence, but nevertheless its worth mentioning)

In another post i've made too, i'm not able to download the latest world of warcraft patch using the blizzard updater too, its just sat there doing absolutely nothing, which is wierd, it usually does something at least.   
Jase

Rik

I don't think the upgrades can be part of the problem, as they would affect everyone. Try running traces to both sites and see what you get.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Ah the BT speed test. Two weeks ago I needed to put in my phone number and login details. Last week it was just the phone number. This week I enter the phone number and like gyruss, it just sits there mocking me  ;D
zap
--------------------

Rik

I think they're tweaking it, Zap. ;)
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Sep 20, 2010, 10:31:40
Ah the BT speed test. Two weeks ago I needed to put in my phone number and login details. Last week it was just the phone number. This week I enter the phone number and like gyruss, it just sits there mocking me  ;D

Yep at exactly the same point as me for sure.  At least its not just 1 machine, if its more than 1 then its outside of our pc and network and thats a small comfort i suppose.
Jase

Rik

Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Between a tadge(tad) and smidgeon I would think :)
Jase

Rik

It would have to be a generous tad. ;D
Rik
--------------------

SSK

It's been over a week now since I started getting impossible results (first post in thread) from the bt speedtester.  And still most tests I do come up with impossible results - e.g. last night it claimed that my download speed (11793 Kbps) was much bigger than my connection rate (2268 Kbps) while my IP profile was (allegedly!) 10000 Kbps.

Again this morning it told me that my download speed (10052 Kbps) is even much more biggerer than my connection rate (576 Kbps) while my IP profile is still (allegedly!) 10000 Kbps. On both occasions my router stats have been the same - it says it's connected at 13624 Kbps, SNR 14 and Loop Att 23.

ISTM that either the bt tester is still broken and useless or that the card in my exchange is faulty and sending false information to BT.

If the tester has been broken for so long, I wonder if BT even know about it?

Is there any contact email address for the bt test site so I can complain? Or shall I contact IDNet support and ask them to complain to BT about it?

Sean

Rik

I'd suggest going through IDNet, Sean, they may be able to see some reason for what;s happening and, if not, they are better placed to get a response from BT for you. It is a curate's egg at them moment, though, it works or it doesn't, it gives sensible results or it doesn't. It has the feel of something coded by a bored financial controller one Friday afternoon as a first exercise in programming. ;)
Rik
--------------------

SSK

Thanks Rik,

I've sent an email to IDnet support. Hopefully they can find out from bt what's going on.
In the past 24 hours 4 out of 4 tests have come up with impossible numbers.

BT may have hired useless code writers, but they they might at least have had the pages checked by someone who speaks English. There are so many errors, but one is funnier than all the others:
"represent the ratio while sententiously passing..."
Definition of sententious:- given to moralising in a pompous or affected manner.

Mmmm maybe they meant "sequentially passing"??
Or are BT really moralising in a pompous or affected manner?   :)

Sean

Baz

I just got this one.Best profile ever   :laugh:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 6562 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5984 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 20.98:24.1:54.92 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
   0 Kbps

0 Kbps   448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

:dunno: :dunno:    :laugh:

Rik

Quote from: SSK on Sep 20, 2010, 15:51:15
Or are BT really moralising in a pompous or affected manner?   :)

I'd spotted that one, Sean, I think it tells us all we need to know about BT. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

About as borked as it can get, Baz. :(
Rik
--------------------