Is bt speedtester totally broken?

Started by SSK, Sep 16, 2010, 12:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

well yeah  ;D ;D    last one I did it showed the profile as 500K  then changed to the errors and stayed at that  :dunno:

Baz

opps double post   sorry      ;D

delete no 100 at will please  :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Baz

Rik

All I have to do is work out where to put the ends of the wires...  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Baz

working again ...for now :eyebrow:

just got this from the tester

Download speed achieved during the test was - 5254 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9727 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.14:23.04:61.82 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

is that profile correct for the sync.its been like that for a while now,when I managed to get a test done,and has seemed a bit slow.

Rik

It's low, Baz, which is usually indicative of line instability.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

theres something wrong with it now  just got this

Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:xxxxxxxx. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again.If you believe it is the correct number for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If yes, then ask him for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

and on another tester

any one else suffering today with slow speed

.Griff.

Quote from: Baz on Oct 04, 2010, 15:20:46
any one else suffering today with slow speed

Yup.. Awful speeds today  >:(

Upload is fine, download is shockingly bad at the moment.

zappaDPJ

I have high latency, low throughput on the downstream and the BT speed test still thinks I'm ADSL.

QuoteTest1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
   11744 Kbps

0 Kbps   7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11744 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7776 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
zap
--------------------

Baz

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 04, 2010, 15:26:56
Yup.. Awful speeds today  >:(

Upload is fine, download is shockingly bad at the moment.

seems to have suddenly picked up.

But when I took more notice it seemed to be this forum more than anything else,the others that I know of on IDNet servers were also slow but not as bad as this.

Does that mean any thing ???

Steve

Ryder cup? We did win , there could have been a fair bit of BBC sport streaming going on.
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Steve on Oct 04, 2010, 17:05:32
Ryder cup? We did win , there could have been a fair bit of BBC sport streaming going on.

It wasn't streamed on the BBC was it Steve? I thought Sky had the rights?

SSK

Quote from: Baz on Oct 04, 2010, 15:20:46
theres something wrong with it now  just got this
Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:xxxxxxxx. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service.

I've been getting that message quite often over the last several days. Sometimes 50% of the times I try. It seems to be more common at times the tester might be busy. Maybe it gives that error message when it can't access the database.

This afternoon I did find things slowing to about half speed for awhile bit it seems to be back to normal now.

Sean

gyruss

No matter when i run the bt speedtester, or which browser, all i get is this:

Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.
Jase

kinmel

Quote from: gyruss on Oct 05, 2010, 00:48:47
No matter when i run the bt speedtester, or which browser, all i get is this:

Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.

Same here and the third test for lines that fail the first 2 was bust on Sunday evening.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Bill

Working OK here (~08:00) and was OK last night too at ~19:00.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

SSK

This morning I've not been able to run a test at all.
It gets as far as saying it's doing Best Effort test 1 but there is no progress bar and nothing happens. Eventually after 10+ minutes I just give up.

Sean

SSK

Looks like the reasonable results I got recently were just a glitch.  :(
The tester still seems to be broken...
This was what I just got:

Download speed - 7272 Kbps
DSL Connection Rate - 17912 Kbps
IP Profile - 250 Kbps
Acceptable range of speeds - 100 - 250 Kbps

Even the download speed wasn't correct as 3 other speedtesters gave values about twice that of the bt tester (ie they gave between 14000 and 15000 Kbps).

Sean

Bill

Quote from: SSK on Oct 06, 2010, 12:15:11
Even the download speed wasn't correct as 3 other speedtesters gave values about twice that of the bt tester (ie they gave between 14000 and 15000 Kbps).

I'd recommend believing the results from the BT speedtester (for speed anyway, the rest is open to doubt).

Basically it just downloads a known number of bytes and divides that by how long it took. Most other speedtesters process the results and can give artificially high answers, particularly if there's any congestion.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

SSK

Quote from: Bill on Oct 06, 2010, 13:36:49
I'd recommend believing the results from the BT speedtester (for speed anyway, the rest is open to doubt).

Basically it just downloads a known number of bytes and divides that by how long it took. Most other speedtesters process the results and can give artificially high answers, particularly if there's any congestion.

Of course that presumes that it is currently doing even that simple measurement & calculation accurately if it is broken and doesn't even know the real IP profile.

As other results of the bt-speedtester  (in this test and others over the past few days) are clearly wrong I don't see why any more belief should be placed in the download speeds it provides than in the other results it gives.

Do the BBmax, speedtest.net and tbb speedtesters all usually overestimate by a factor of two? Also, I downloaded a 200Mb file from tbb and calculated the speed to be about 1.7 times the bt tester result.

I wouldn't necessarily believe the the other testers are particularly accurate, but while the bt tester is obviously broken in other ways I certainly have no reason to believe that bt tester download speed results are any more accurate.

Sean

Bill

Earlier today the BT speedtester gave me a result of 33846Kbps down, 7060Kbps up. Those figures are in agreement with the Mac's network monitor.

The tbb speedtester gave me about 60% of that, also in agreement with the network monitor. (The tbb test works the same as the BT one but is single-threaded, and I suspect there may be peering problems with it.)

The BBMax and speedstest.net testers gave results about 3-4 Mbps higher than the network monitor would indicate. They're both Ookla-based, see here for a possible explanation.

All the speedtesters use different routes of course, there was some congestion visible on the monitor for all but the BT tester.

Clearly the BT tester is broken.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Best test is the files at TBB, Bill.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Oct 06, 2010, 16:12:02

For some reason TBB really doesn't like me. Both their speed test and their test files give me really poor results.

:dunno:

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Oct 06, 2010, 16:12:02

They give about the same result as the tbb speedtester for me.

There's something odd about it, but whether it's routing, peering or whatever I have no idea.

The only bit of "information" I have is that when there's some sort of "event" on the internet (IDNet playing with routers, BT doing major work or the like) I can get speeds of about 35Mbps from it for a few days, then it goes back to about 25Mbps :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6