I am tempted by FTTC.. why would I want IDNet over BT ?

Started by jm_paulin, Sep 17, 2010, 12:11:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

AAMOI, Griff, which router would you recommend?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Oct 03, 2010, 12:47:15
AAMOI, Griff, which router would you recommend?

Personally I'm going to get either a D-Link DIR-655 or DIR-855 depending on funds.

Rik

Thanks for that, Griff. User review in due course? ;)
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Oct 03, 2010, 13:02:16
Thanks for that, Griff. User review in due course? ;)

Yup will do. Might be a week or so as the 855 is on the expensive side and I need to save the pennies first  :(

Rik

No rush, it's just a case of gathering as much user experience as we can. :)
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Decided against the D-Link.. At £150 it's too expensive so I've gone for this instead - http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WRT320N

sof2er

My experience of the WGR614 router is bad, it won't let me download faster than 31-32 mbps and has packet loss at random times. Plugging directly into the modem with PPPoE connection I don't have any of that and full speed.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

bindeweede

Well, it looks like the router issue is irrelevant in my case.  I spoke to IDNET a little while ago and was told that if I migrated to IDNET and placed a order for the FTTC connection, BT would simply cancel the order when they checked my line and found it could only support up to12 MBps - there would be too many problems, apparently.

Oh well, the dream was nice while it lasted.

sof2er

Quote from: bindeweede on Oct 04, 2010, 13:03:27
Well, it looks like the router issue is irrelevant in my case.  I spoke to IDNET a little while ago and was told that if I migrated to IDNET and placed a order for the FTTC connection, BT would simply cancel the order when they checked my line and found it could only support up to12 MBps - there would be too many problems, apparently.

Oh well, the dream was nice while it lasted.

Now that is something I don't really get because those estimates are always wrong, in reality you should be able to get way more...unless they calculated the distance from your house to the cabinet which was more than 1 mile or something.

If IDNET doesn't work for you then try AAISP (they're alot more expensive) but I'm sure they'll get BT to try it out..