Wi Fi Problems after Windows 7 Upgrade

Started by Ydnpa, Sep 17, 2010, 21:35:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Ydnpa

This week I did a Vista to Win 7 upgrade on my desktop PC, everything ran well, until I tried to access the Wi Fi no network. Not a problem as the Wi Fi adaptor was an old BT Voyager USB adaptor, a bit of research gives the impression it would be difficult to get going & BT no longer support it. Not a problem, buy a Netgear WNA1100 installed it but when I tried to connect & it asked for the WEP password it came back mismatched. Even though there are other computers accessing the router ( a BT Voyager 2110) Some more web research & you find that the Netgear even though it has the Win 7 logo has no Win 7 drivers. Changed it for a Belkin complete with latest Win 7 driver but still the same problem. Even logged on from the Netbook & changed the WEP password, still the same, even briefly removed security & still cannot connect. Any ideas????

Simon

:welc:  :karma:

I think you need someone experienced with Windows 7 for this, but just as a shot in the dark, is the password setting on the W7 machine set to WEP, and not WPA, or something else?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Just done a bit of Googling, and it seems Win7 uses IPv6, which has caused some connectivity issues.  One possible solution I've read (but not tried, as I don't have Win7), is to uncheck IPv6 in the properties of the wireless card, and manually insert IP address, gateway and DNS.  I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me, but if not, hold fire until someone with more expertise comes along.  :)
Simon.
--

Ray

:welc: :karma: Have a look here you may find something to help you.
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ydnpa

Thanks for the welcome & advice, I have been a happy IDNET customer for some time, only needed to get them to check the line on one occasion & the service was great.

Anyhow an update, finally traced it to a corruptted ESEt Smart Security file. I had disabled ESET during the upgrade but something had corrupted & it wasn't till I was using the PC today and saw that ESET had updated the Virus Protection Database, but I could still not access Email or Internet. I tried  a repair but still no joy, so I uninstalled & all the Wi Fi issues went away. Downloaded the software & installed it & everything seems ok now.

Simon

I don't think you're the first to have trouble with ESET recently.  Thanks for letting us know you got it sorted.
Simon.
--