Tweaking SNR with DGTEAM + DGN2000

Started by mrapoc, Sep 29, 2010, 18:49:12

Previous topic - Next topic

mrapoc

Keep losing sync speed so I'm trying DGteam firmware with my dgn2000.

Anybody know
1)how to tweak the SNR
2)what to tweak it to?
3)any other cool features this FW has  :)

Steve

If your on adsl2+ you will not be able to tweak anything.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

mrapoc

ADSL max not ADSL2 :)

Where are my manners..stats after reboot with new FW:
Down Up
SNR (dB): 10.1 18.0
Attn(dB): 26.0 13.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.3
Max(Kbps): 9184 932
Rate (Kbps): 8128 448

Apparently the percentage slider allows me to change the SNR percentage either way...so speed vs. reliability

Which way would i be best moving it (does it mean SNR : Attenuation relationship?)

Steve

I've not used it for awhile but normally you would use it to override BTs dslam margin setting and gain a higher sync but in your case that's going to surely increase the instability. You've got a decent margin there anyway with a full sync is it not possible to source the cause of the resync.

If you try a margin of 15 I'm not sure if your sync will lower and if it does what happens about IP profiles, normally I've seen it used on LLU who of course don't have IP profiles.
Steve
------------

Lance

The stats certainly show a solid connection. Have you tried running routerstats?
Lance
_____

mrapoc

i'll run it over next couple of days :)

mrapoc

Steve

Yes Oh dear,Something wrong somewhere. Unfortunately the dslam's intervened this time as well. It's a classic graph. Hopefully your can find the source of the noise.
Steve
------------

mrapoc

Any pointers/hints or ways to find out the cause?

Steve

All you can do is look for possible interference your side of the socket in a methodical manner. i.e Use the test socket and monitor the margin , you had a fair sized dip 50 mins later (16-11). I assume the ring wire's gone so it's down to swapping things around i.e router and filters , moving possible sources of interference away from the router i.e psu's and dect phones. May be worth using a detuned AM radio to see if you can find the source.
Steve
------------

mrapoc

I havent touched the ring wire yet :)

Something to do?  :slap:

mrapoc

Looking inside the socket, there is 3 cables going to the back of the plate (A, B and E (?)) None are twisted and there is also something i can only describe as "copper wiring" coiled up behind it all, not even connected to the phone line or anything? Weird, nothing like the pics - old?

edit:

looks like the bit with the terminal 1-6 like in the pics isnt in use, it just connects straight into the test socket. On the back of the bit actually in the wall, there are two cables going to and b respectively (orange and white). There is nothing going to E - blue and green cable is disconnected.

Cant find camera cable!!!

Steve

BT wires are A and B obviously if nothing is connected to 1-6 there are no extensions etc. The graph looks like a burst of noise from somewhere.
Steve
------------

mrapoc

So there is no ringwire if its only a and b hooked up

There is a load of copper wiring almost "Stuffed" into the back of the socket - doesnt seem to be anything to do with phone wires, dont fancy finding out if its live either =/ just looks out of place! So i'm looking for noise from the phone socket to the router hmmm

Steve

Thats the only noise you can look for, obviously if the interference is outside the house its even more difficult to track down.Hopefully it will be a piece of noisy electrical equipment in the house,dodgy filter or router/psu.
Steve
------------

psp83

What time does your heating come on and go off ?

mrapoc

iv routed the adsl cable as far from the power sources as possible and tried to have it at right angles. Noise is at 10.4 at the moment - shall see if it spikes same time everyday by tomorrow :)

Ill also check on the heating time too