BT's Phorm trial lands UK Government in court

Started by Simon, Sep 30, 2010, 22:40:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

The EC has referred the British Government to the European Court of Justice for failing to deal with BT's secret trial of Phorm's technology.

BT tested Phorm's Webwise system on its customers in 2006 and 2007, without informing them it was doing so. Phorm used deep-packet inspection technology to analyse users' internet behaviour and match adverts to their surfing habits.

BT faced investigations from both the Information Commissioner and the City of London Police following complaints from members of the public, but neither has taken any action against BT to date.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/361564/bts-phorm-trial-lands-uk-government-in-court
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

The European Commission's charges are more waffle than I can get my head around but it is good that they have chosen to take up the baton. Apart from the questionable legality of the exercise, it seemed at the time that there were something very underhand going on in the background which might explain why the authorities failed to act on the complaints made by members of the public.
zap
--------------------

Simon

Too much like hard work, perhaps?  Or maybe they just thought people weren't tech savvy enough to be worried about it?  Wrong!
Simon.
--

Nitz

Something like Phorm should have really been made aware to customers. This is why I'd never willingly become a customer with BT Broadband.
Not to mention their draconian DLM.