UPS recommendations

Started by davej99, Oct 06, 2010, 13:56:18

Previous topic - Next topic

davej99

I live in an area of Scotland where the local power supply seems to use bellwire and the light flicker all the time. I think this is producing noise spikes at the adsl router, so I thought about using a USP to power it and perhaps a couple of small NAS devices and switch as well to protect the backup process. That might be 100-200w. The computers are laptops, so lost work is not an issue. Nor is the length of time I need to run on battery. I guess I am looking for a small UPS that powers from DC all the time, ie does not just switch to battery when the light go out. Sorry to ask this question again, but does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Dave.

Steve

I think Rik is the man for UPS.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

APC models are good, Dave, this range may do what you want.
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Definitely APC, Dave, but go for the Smart UPS range, they do a lot more to protect your equipment. I've got four of them and they have proved very robust in the face of some nasty mains spikes.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

But make sure you get the desktop version.

Someone I knew (not me as I know the difference and I didn't work with them) was tasked with buying UPS units for when they moved office as the UPS unit and diesel generator that backed up the servers would not provide cover because they were now in a different building albeit on the same site.

They bought APC SmartUPS units but ones that were rated to support servers and networking kit in a data centre environment so had large fans on the side which of course you know would create a racket and sure enough when they were connected and powered on they did.

So he was then tasked with getting rid of them as they were bought on business terms so could not be returned, in the end I think they went on ebay and 6 grands worth of UPS went for 3.

I think the management then gave up on the idea of backing up the PCs with UPS units.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Had to go into one of the server rooms at work the other week and had forgotten how noisy all that kit can be combined with air con.

Rik

Get some Bose noise-cancelling headphones, Mitch. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I don't have to go in server rooms that much these days but prob will if I change jobs or start my own company.

I'll probably buy some ear defenders.

Rik

Not as much fun, Mitch. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Probably right, would be nice to plug into the iPod

Rik

Sounds great - I use a pair while on the exercise bike, cuts out the sound of my wheezing and makes me feel fitter. ;)
Rik
--------------------