Hard drives / NAS

Started by psp83, Oct 07, 2010, 10:19:54

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Morning all.

I have a western digital my world book 2 nas drive, its keeps crashing everyday so I've been and got myself a buffalo linkstation duo 2tb nas drive.

But I have a question about my old nas drive (western digital one).

Do they use normal sata drives or are they special built ones ?

I'm hoping to take the casing off and take out the hard to use in a dock but don't want to destroy it if you its not a normal hard drive.

Technical Ben

AFAIK you can add any drive to them (but please check first ;P ).
However, sometimes you can buy "hot swappable" versions, so they can be removed without powering down.
does it come with a manual?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

psp83

Yeh the new buffalo one comes with hot swappable drives and easy to remove them..

My old NAS drive is the white 1tb western digital my world book one that has a solid case around the whole inners, cant see any screws etc to take it apart so I guess its a flat head screw driver job to get into the case.

What I'm hoping to do is to take the hard drive out of this NAS drive and use it as a spare backup drive in a desktop dock.

Ray

My old 250Gb Buffalo Linkstation has definitely got a standard WD IDE drive in it, I would have thought the Mybook would be the same, how are you finding the Linkstation Duo? I bought the 1TB version about a week ago and must say I'm very pleased with it.

this any help, Paul, it looks like a standard drive.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: Ray on Oct 07, 2010, 11:27:25
My old 250Gb Buffalo Linkstation has definitely got a standard WD IDE drive in it, I would have thought the Mybook would be the same, how are you finding the Linkstation Duo? I bought the 1TB version about a week ago and must say I'm very pleased with it.

this any help, Paul, it looks like a standard drive.

I've only had it since this morning but I'm liking it so far.

I've got it running RAID1 just incase one of the 1TB hard drives fails I still got the other one. The only annoying thing so far is the orange info light keeps flashing and I can't seem to read the message to stop it flashing.

I'm transferring all data from my old NAS drive and had no problem with the buffalo yet, but the WD one has crashed 3 times already this morning.

Cheers for the link, I'll take alook at it once I've moved all the files over.