Would you get involved in the trial?

Started by pctech, Oct 10, 2010, 12:30:56

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

I've now had responses from both Zen and A&A regarding the fibre to the premises trial and both of them say they would be happy to include me in the trial but can't give me any idea as to final cost as BT haven't given them any indication and are providing it 'free' at the present time.

Knowing BT as we do that isn't likely to remain the case for very long and what I don't want to get hit with is a large hike.

So while I'm keen to get involved my thoughts are to leave it until it transitions to production and see what it costs next year, what do you all reckon?

Rik

I wouldn't sign a blank cheque, Mitch.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Rik

Presumably you'd be tied into a minimum period after (or including) the trial?
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Pass but I found a document by searching BT.com which is a user guide for those taking part in the trial which describes the install which involves fitting some sort of panel on the outaide of the premises where the fibre emerges from the ground behind which a hole is drilled and the fibre pushed through, they then fit a modem just above the skirting board which you connect a piece of Cat5 to which then goes to a router that they provide.

Rik

I'm not entirely happy at this insistence with fibre of using BT-supplied equipment, Mitch. I suspect it's the cheapest they can get.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Probably that Chinese cr*p they are so fond of, obviously I can't source my own fibre modem unless I buy a small Cisco router with an SFP transceiver (which I don't have the space or dosh for) but I will use my Netgear as the router.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: pctech on Oct 10, 2010, 12:30:56what I don't want to get hit with is a large hike.

According to Andrew over on tbb, the BT wholesale price (atm) is £44, presumably per month:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3912689-high-speed-fibre-in-uk.html

It ain't gonna be cheap...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

I suspect I'll stick with ADSL until the price drops as my absolute limit is 40 quid per month.

Technical Ben

It's gonna be a court trial at this rate! :O
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

I wonder how long it'd take BT to fix one of those if it went down after their tour de farce last night with IDNet, at that price per month I'd expect a 24 hour turnaround tops.

Rik

Only if you paid for enhanced care I suspect, Mitch.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech