FTTC Download/Throughput Issues

Started by .Griff., Oct 07, 2010, 15:58:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

I doubt that will be hard given the evidence that the Netgear isn't up to scratch.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Pretty stable again this afternoon from Rapidshare -

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Lance on Oct 09, 2010, 20:31:17
I doubt that will be hard given the evidence that the Netgear isn't up to scratch.

I think there are a couple of  Netgear Gigabit routers available in the UK and include dual band N wifi. Their not particularly cheap either.
Steve
------------

sof2er

Can anyone report on their DL speed during 0:00 till 02:00 ish (that is if you download something at that time!)

zappaDPJ

If I'm around I'll give it a go tomorrow. I assume you are finding things slow down quite badly at midnight and then steadily improves as 2.00am approaches. I know at this particular time 2.00am to around 6.00am my speed is usually superb. I'll be back with a test in a minute.

[EDIT]

There you go. I'll try a do a proper test tomorrow just after midnight if I'm at my PC.

PS: The time stamp is an hour ahead on the test.
zap
--------------------

.Griff.

Quote from: sof2er on Oct 18, 2010, 01:59:17
Can anyone report on their DL speed during 0:00 till 02:00 ish (that is if you download something at that time!)

It's always really bad during that time for me as I guess it's when everyone sets their downloads to begin.

esh

CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

sof2er

anywhere between 3 to 8 megabits...for me, and sometimes 10-15 and after about 1 or 2 it goes to maximum 37-38 megabits

zappaDPJ

That's my experience as well, just over 4 Mb/s is the lowest I've seen but the test below is probably more typical.

I assume it is exchange congestion or congestion elsewhere in the network as everyone hammers their off-peak before going to bed. As I tend to work a lot during the night I don't find it a problem but I can see it could be frustrating for people with a more normal sleep pattern.

zap
--------------------

.Griff.

Quote from: esh on Oct 18, 2010, 15:54:54
Can you define 'really bad'?

Pretty much as the others have said. As Zappa touched upon it's no doubt people waiting until Midnight (Off peak period starts) and starting their downloads before going to bed.

By about 2am, when the rush is over or their downloads have finished, things go back to normal.