Lost connection

Started by psp83, Oct 10, 2010, 19:24:29

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

I don't suppose there's any chance of an eta for a fix i.e. overnight or not until business hours tomorrow?
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Unfortunately IDNet are at the mercy of BT but I would think that BT would be a bit quicker to fix this than if your end of the connection went down.

mynnydd

Quote from: mynnydd on Oct 10, 2010, 21:25:29
Who are 'them'?
2010-10-10 20:21: Both our Primary and Backup Broadband links into BT are currently down. BT are aware of the failure and are investigating. We do not as yet have a time estimate from them for a fix. We will provide an update as soon as we get one

AHHHH

aurichie

These issues are typically resolved within 72 hours by BT.

pctech

I think BT will work on it overnight Zap

snadge

Quote from: netn00b on Oct 10, 2010, 20:15:14
What is this?

he is using the 3G/HSDPA modem on his mobile to get online - connecting the phone to PC via USB cable and it acts as a modem - same as mobile dongle internet

hope that helps

zappaDPJ

Quote from: adamb on Oct 10, 2010, 21:20:25
Not sure if this is realtime but worth keeping an eye on just in case...

http://www.idnet.net/support/status.jsp

Missed that, Thanks.
zap
--------------------

Fox

Have IDNet tried turning it off then on again?  :P

(posted via a wireless connection to my HTC Desire..... so glad i didnt get an iPhone, Mr Jobs doesnt let you do this)
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them

zebrum

Quote from: Fox on Oct 10, 2010, 21:32:44
Have IDNet tried turning it off then on again?  :P

(posted via a wireless connection to my HTC Desire..... so glad i didnt get an iPhone, Mr Jobs doesnt let you do this)

Home come I posted this tethered via WiFi on my iPhone 4 then? Desire has a cr*p screen btw with the red and blue halos on everything cause of the missing pixels ;-)

pctech

Come on folks keep this on topic.

I'm sure IDNet are giving BT hell and the connections will be back soon.

Fox

I was told wireless tethering wasnt available on the iPhone, unless its jailbroken
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them

Simon

I agree, this isn't a phone comparison thread.  Let's keep it clear for the ongoing problem, please.
Simon.
--

Fox

Quote from: Simon on Oct 10, 2010, 21:42:29
I agree, this isn't a phone comparison thread.  Let's keep it clear for the ongoing problem, please.

Well the ongoing problem is that no one has an internet connection, there is no timescale for the fix and we are at the mercy of BT. Until that changes whats the harm?

Steve

If you want to chat about phones why not start another thread please.
Steve
------------

Simon

We have a board for mobile phone discussions.  If you read the "Sticking to topic" sticky, you'll see that we have requested that threads with ongoing problems remain on topic.  This is an ongoing issue, so the rule applies.
Simon.
--

esh

Not seeing any issues from other ISPs so I think IDNet got unlucky... Anybody know what a "host link" consists of anyway? I imagine it is just a bridge between the exchange and the IDNet routers, but how this is achieved I am unsure. Are these dedicated connections? It could just be VLANs these days for all I know!

What with the maintenance coming up this week... urgh. Downtime extravaganza.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

pctech

I can confirm Zen are still up, I think their host links are in Telehouse as are IDNet's so it likely to be a single piece of equipment or room that is affected.

A hostlink is an iP feed delivered over ethernet UTP or fibre from BT's equipment into the ISP's edge router.

karvala

Quote from: mynnydd on Oct 10, 2010, 21:28:14
2010-10-10 20:21: Both our Primary and Backup Broadband links into BT are currently down. BT are aware of the failure and are investigating. We do not as yet have a time estimate from them for a fix. We will provide an update as soon as we get one

AHHHH

What the hell is the point of a backup link if it goes down at the same time as the Primary one?  Another masterpiece of BT design.

BTW, did anyone notice this happen in the small hours of Friday night/Saturday evening as well?  Because I sure did: identical symptoms (changed IP, still syncs but no PPoA, change of router makes no difference, and down for a few hours).

pctech

I have a feeling BT have done it cheaply and fed them both from the same router, which if that router fails means both will go so not really resiliant.

I'm sure IDNet will explain all when the problem is fixed, just be patient, I've no doubt they are doing everything they can to get BT to fix it as soon as.

esh

I haven't had any ISP downtime since their last upgrade glitches. This seems to be a separate problem to whatever you had the other night.

Thanks for the info, pctech.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

psp83

2010-10-10 22:18: BT now have engineers onsite in the Exchange diagnosing the problem.

netn00b

Still no fix. Sucks tbh. 2nd time in a week no net when need to do stuff.

adamb

Great  ::) Took them long enough to get there

Niall

It had better be sorted by BT and soon. My mother is going mental as she has to submit some documents via email to Bangor uni, without which she fails her degree. The timing of this latest cock up by BT is beyond inconvenient.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy