Lost connection

Started by psp83, Oct 10, 2010, 19:24:29

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

All working fine here.

zappaDPJ

I'm back, but on ADSL with a limited service. It seems to be 50/50 as to whether or not I get the BT splash screen. Perhaps things need to propagate or something. FTTC won't go anywhere though.

BTW thanks to everyone who kept this site updated with the latest info  :thumb:
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

All go here. I needed an early night anyhow to be up now.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Lance

Just to put a couple things straight:

This is the only outage there has been for quite a while. Anyone who has had other disconnections has been on the receiving end of exchange work by BT.

Secondly, the outage caused a loss of ppp only. Sync will not have been affected unless you rebooted your router or your line was unstable due to noise on the local line.

Anyone without ppp still, I suggest powering down the router for 30 mins to clear any potential stale session. If you still have no Internet, phone support.
Lance
_____

Rudds

Well we are up and running here in South Leicestershire, thanks for all the updates guys.

Synched at norm 7616, download speed normal.
Paul

trophymick

After being offline most of last night, things are working again. :thumb:
But I've lost most of my speed. :bawl:  Usually get approx 5 to 6 meg, it's down to 2 meg this morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/985818889.png

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to wait.? :dunno:
Mick

Conrad

Did you power cycle your router a few times during the outage?  That could have possibly done something nasty to your profile, but it should return to normal after a few days.

How frustrating was that last night?  That customer service number gave completely inadequate information, and despite leaving a message early on (before they stopped taking messages - went to "Sorry but the users mailbox can't accept more messages") I didn't get a call back.  I only wanted an ETR so I didn't sit up like a muppet waiting.

Somehow I managed not to get any google crawl-errors throughout the night though!  Woohoo!

sof2er

Getting 18 ms instead of 22 now aswell, probably because many people aren't on I guess?

Joel

I still do not have connection, slightly concerning. Definitely went off about 19:30 last night as the reports state, but no service still this morning.

Worth giving them a call??

Sorry, just read your post Lance. Will cool for a good 30 mins when I get back, and if that fails, ring tomorrow. Cheers

Glenn

Yes, give them a call.
Glenn
--------------------

trophymick

Quote from: Conrad on Oct 11, 2010, 08:25:54
Did you power cycle your router a few times during the outage?  That could have possibly done something nasty to your profile, but it should return to normal after a few days.

How frustrating was that last night?  That customer service number gave completely inadequate information, and despite leaving a message early on (before they stopped taking messages - went to "Sorry but the users mailbox can't accept more messages") I didn't get a call back.  I only wanted an ETR so I didn't sit up like a muppet waiting.

Somehow I managed not to get any google crawl-errors throughout the night though!  Woohoo!

I did power it off for approx 30 minutes last night, I thought we had a lump in the wire. :whistle: I didn't have a clue what was happening due to not having a mobile signal (no mobiles work here), or internet access. I'll be patient and wait I think, thanks for your reply. :thumb:
Mick

James Munnelly

Just spoke to support, if you're getting the BTWholesale page about you being offline, powercycle your router for about 5 minutes and flush your DNS cache on you computer (or just restart it). It's a DNS issue as a result of last night.

.Griff.

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Oct 11, 2010, 02:45:06
It's actually not fixed at all, at least not for me. All I'm getting is BT's wholesale splash screen which I've seen all too much of in the last few weeks.

I'll stop mashing on this stupid damn phone now before I type something I'll regret.

Just checked my connection and all I'm getting is that annoying BT Wholesale message on screen. So much for being fixed.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

sof2er

If you see the BTw splash screen but you can't access any website (ping does work) then it's most likely a DNS issue.

Try the following: Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses (primary) 8.8.8.8 and (secondary) 8.8.4.4

Also configure the above in your router settings and see if that works.

(Do make note of your IDNet DNS as the above is Google OpenDNS)

James Munnelly

Quote from: James Munnelly on Oct 11, 2010, 08:55:07
Just spoke to support, if you're getting the BTWholesale page about you being offline, powercycle your router for about 5 minutes and flush your DNS cache on you computer (or just restart it). It's a DNS issue as a result of last night.

To quote myself...

Gary

All running here as usual sync 8128 on ADSL MAX, I just left my router last night and was up when the announcement on the forum was posted by Simon saying all was working, at that point I just rebooted my router, that was after 752 hours without a router glitch.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Ray

Latest Status report from Idnet regarding last night's problems,

Service: Announcement
Posted: 11 October 2010 08:10:47
Updated: 11 October 2010 08:10:47
Message: BT have admitted that someone removed the configuration for our circuits yesterday. We and demanded that they investigate why this happened, what safeguards will now be put in place to ensure that it can't happen again and why it took them so long to resolve the issue.
Ray
--------------------

James Munnelly

So the configuration for both the backup and primary is loaded from the same place? Obviously that's convenient, but not logical...

Simon

On the face of it, I have to agree, James.  :welc:
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: James Munnelly on Oct 11, 2010, 09:34:42
So the configuration for both the backup and primary is loaded from the same place? Obviously that's convenient, but not logical...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing  :whistle:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

sobranie

[quoteMessage: BT have admitted that someone removed the configuration for our circuits yesterday. We and demanded that they investigate why this happened, what safeguards will now be put in place to ensure that it can't happen again and why it took them so long to resolve the issue. [/i]
[/quote]

Obviously a dastardly plot by a rival ISP.  I now await 'phone call(s) by BT/Talk Talk/Sky or what have you trying to tempt me to a far more efficient ISP once the incident becomes common knowledge. :eek4: :eek4: :eek4:

Rik

It is worrying that BT's idea of redundancy is so fragile. I hope that IDNet get compensated for this.
Rik
--------------------

esh

They...removed circuit configuration? Why? Why are they doing anything like that at peak time? How strange.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Strange?? Perverse if you ask me.  ;D
Rik
--------------------