Is it just me? Certain webpage slowness?

Started by JB, Oct 12, 2010, 08:13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

JB

Since the outage on Sunday night I am noticing a slowness for some web pages to load or load completely. I haven't changed anything here and I am synced at 8128 kbps with a 9db noise margin, which is normal. Interleaving is off and my DSL connection to the exchange seems as usual. Prior to the outage I hadn't noticed any slowing which I could attribute to exchange congestion, for example.

Last night amazon.co.uk timed out on me whilst trying to check an order and certain pages on ebay.co.uk, notably the ones hosted in the Netherlands either would not load or were very slow.

Before I start tearing things appart, has anyone else experienced anything similar in the last day or so.

Many thanks,

JB.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Glenn

I'm having the same issue since Sunday, it feels like slow throughput, but I can download files at 280kbs with a 2.5mb profile.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

JB

Thanks for the info Glenn.

Yes, I can download quickly as well. The problem just seems to show on some web pages. It's almost like packet loss but I haven't investigated further yet. I thought I would see if anyone else is experiencing similar symptoms.
JB

tobykim

Same here I'm going to flush dns see if that helps, some pages load straight away others slow or not at all

Simon

Yes, I've noticed some general sluggishness too, particularly on the Halifax site last night.
Simon.
--

Bill

Quote from: 6jb on Oct 12, 2010, 08:13:38
Last night amazon.co.uk timed out on me

It wouldn't load for me either in Opera, but loaded immediately in Safari... still wouldn't load in Opera, but if I went to another site and tried again it then loaded immediately :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Amazon seems mildly slow, a couple of seconds, the BBC was instantaneous.
Rik
--------------------

JB

At least it's not just me.

Rik, yes the BBC pages are pretty much instant. Let's hope things settle down in time. Simon, I have found different browsers seem to produce different results. It might be to do with what's in the cache?
JB

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Oct 12, 2010, 10:05:48
Amazon seems mildly slow, a couple of seconds, the BBC was instantaneous.

Both immediate here :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

Mine is cleared at the end of each session, JB.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Oct 12, 2010, 10:25:12
Both immediate here :dunno:

We can't discount remote server load, of course. The web has too many variables. :(
Rik
--------------------

pctech

JB

Yes, both are fine here now. Will see what happens later.
JB

Technical Ben

Similar here. But mainly on forums. So I would normally guess they have excess load/downgraded service on the site. On Open DNS, and have full download speeds. Will see if it's any better today.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Lona

Quote from: Simon on Oct 12, 2010, 09:51:56
Yes, I've noticed some general sluggishness too, particularly on the Halifax site last night.

I had to give up last night, Simon, as the page wouldn't load and I got fedup waiting.  I've always found Halifax website poor at loading though.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

I find it stalls a lot, and I have to log out and log back in again.  Very frustrating when you're trying to make transactions. 
Simon.
--

Lona

Quote from: Simon on Oct 12, 2010, 14:18:31
I find it stalls a lot, and I have to log out and log back in again.  Very frustrating when you're trying to make transactions. 

I agree, Simon, my son changed his bank because of the rubbish website.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Rik

I feel a bit that way about Nationwide at times.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Pages seem to be loading faster now.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Simon's at a meeting with BT. We've just heard back that BT ran some planned engineering work at Faraday last night. Unfortunately, they neglected to tell anyone it was planned. Connections were affected for up to six hours. No-one would believe this incompetence if you wrote a book about it.  :mad:
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Oct 12, 2010, 15:18:17
Simon's at a meeting with BT. We've just heard back that BT ran some planned engineering work at Faraday last night. Unfortunately, they neglected to tell anyone it was planned. Connections were affected for up to six hours. No-one would believe this incompetence if you wrote a book about it.  :mad:

Thanks for the info Rik, it appears that's what took me out last night which has been somewhat substantiated by support.

I'm sure there's no need for me to tell anyone (other than BT) how their incompetence reflects on an ISP. This morning I phoned IDNet to request a MAC for both my lines but there was a lengthy queue and I didn't have time to hold on. Taking that course of action would cost me the remainder of my 12 month FTTC contract but in all honesty, it's a small amount compared to the what I've lost because of these continual outages.

One thing I would suggest is that IDNet make better use of their infrastructure even if it's after the event. Had I known this morning that it was planned BT works which took me out last night my frustration would have been pointed in a different direction.
zap
--------------------

Rik

They only found out about it in the meeting in London, Zap, and Simon had only just passed the word while I was talking to support. My post was, therefore, about 10 minutes after Simon knew.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

So if there was no meeting no one would have been any the wiser? It just gets worse. Thanks again for the update Rik.
zap
--------------------

Rik

That's it, Zap. I've asked IDNet if they can let people know what happened but it does appear that BT are getting worse - which is hard to believe!
Rik
--------------------

sof2er

http://status.zensupport.co.uk/outages/

Shows planned/cleared outages and such! (all you do is enter your telephone number)