Complete loss of service

Started by zappaDPJ, Oct 13, 2010, 02:21:07

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

Another night, another complete loss of service. That's now three nights in a row?
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DorsetBoy

??? ???  That is simply unacceptable Zap, you must be losing serious amounts of income. Time to migrate a line elsewhere to get some redundancy there.

Steve

Steve
------------

BAP

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Oct 13, 2010, 02:21:07
Another night, another complete loss of service. That's now three nights in a row?

That's unnerving news for me. seems quite a few customers are having outage problems, could be BT! I hope
Migrating to IDnet this week. :fingers:

Gary

Quote from: BAP on Oct 13, 2010, 08:54:25
That's unnerving news for me. seems quite a few customers are having outage problems, could be BT! I hope
Migrating to IDnet this week. :fingers:

I'm not sure if its just FTTC but on ADSL max plain old vanilla style, all has been rock steady apart from the big outtage the other night. Before that i had gone 732 hours without any downtime at all, and it would have been longer but I had some cables moved.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

BAP

Quote from: Gary on Oct 13, 2010, 09:33:11
I'm not sure if its just FTTC but on ADSL max plain old vanilla style, all has been rock steady apart from the big outtage the other night. Before that i had gone 732 hours without any downtime at all, and it would have been longer but I had some cables moved.

You could right, although living on the isle of Wight FTTC is just a dream, asked a Openreach chap that lives a few doors away "WHEN" he said dream on.

Gary

Quote from: BAP on Oct 13, 2010, 10:20:37
You could right, although living on the isle of Wight FTTC is just a dream, asked a Openreach chap that lives a few doors away "WHEN" he said dream on.
It's the same on the mainland as well it seems for some small exchanges.  :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

What have support said, Zap?
Rik
--------------------

esh

Is the physical link down or is it just PPPoE? Sounds really nasty anyway. Apart from BT's "mishap" on Sunday night it's been fine here.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

sof2er

Sounds quite unlucky zappa as my FTTC line has been rock solid apart from the outage a few days ago..never had an issue.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ff1d69732d1703271905554d06a9f90f.html

JohnH

I've been waiting since Friday for BT to fix my noisy line which is causing line drops and loss of sync. Called support several times and they say to give it until Friday which seems a bit long.  :(

zappaDPJ

I'm back on line, I don't know when. I'll look at it later when I've had some sleep. I had to go to another location to finish my work last night  :shake:
zap
--------------------

Rik

BT seem determined to destroy IDNet and other BTw dependent ISPs, Zap. :(
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: JohnH on Oct 13, 2010, 13:30:26
I've been waiting since Friday for BT to fix my noisy line which is causing line drops and loss of sync. Called support several times and they say to give it until Friday which seems a bit long.  :(

Five working days. :( Not good, but probably they are stuck in the hands of BT again. They had an engineer out to my noisy line in 2 hours, John, but that may have been good luck.
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

When I spoke to support on Monday, they said that the BT systems were showing a fix time by Tuesday (yesterday).
I called yesterday late afternoon and said that it didn't look as though they were going to show up and I was told they would get an update and call me, since it seemed to have "disappeared off the BT system"  This didn't happen.

So I called again this morning, mentioned last night's conversation and was told that it hadn't disappeared from the system and was still showing in process, albeit with a fix date of yesterday.

I mentioned that I had been waiting in for two days this week, waiting for BT to show and was told I did not need to do this, because the fault had been identified as external and if BT needed access, IDNet would call to fix an appointment.

Personally, I think that BT have forgotten about it and need a kick. I am not very happy about this situation, particularly as I was originally told it was likely 24 hours for a resolution and then Tuesday latest.

Rik

BT reported no fault on my line for 10 days at the beginning of the year, John, before sending an engineer to the exchange where he found a faulty line card. They are a law unto themselves. :(
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

So is there nothing that IDNet can do if BT don't show up in reasonable time?

Rik

There seems to be a misunderstanding, John, an engineering visit hasn't been requested, the fault is with BT's engineering team, who haven't yet traced the problem. When they do, if an engineer's visit is required, IDNet will contact you to make the appointment. They are keeping on at BT, but noise can be difficult to trace - there are so many joints in the cable between you and the exchange.
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

There's some contradictory information here, which just makes this worse.

IDnet (James) told me on Monday that BT had identified the fault as between my master socket and the road outside the house.
That makes sense to me (as I told him) because the last time I had something similar was about 2 1/2 years ago when after heavy rain, the duct outside in which the cables are located filled up with rainwater and the cables sat immersed in it.

I am very tempted to go outside and try and lift the lid, to see if it is the same this time.

Rik

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to phone James in the morning, John, because I can only relay what I've been told.
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

I can't, because I am working all day with an early start and the same applies to Friday.
Can I request an engineering visit, do you know?

Rik

Afaik, yes, with the usual proviso about charging. Could you not email support? I can try again with James in the morning if you like.
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

Yes, that's what I will do because I have noticed over the last day or so that my second line has the same problem, albeit not as bad, and the cables for that sit in the same duct.

I will email support tonight requesting an engineering visit for next Monday or soon as possible thereafter for both lines (they are both with IDNet). Fortunately, I am off all next week. Of course, I understand the charging scenario.

I would really appreciate if you would mention this to James and thanks very much for your kind offer of help. I will PM you my two line numbers.

Thanks again, Rik.

John

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lona

Have you tried the silent test, John.?  I can't remember what you dial

Just checked Dial 17070

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb: